Sailfin

bkvreef

I have been torn recently. I had a Koran angel that was great with my sailfin.
However, I recently had to remove it because it was munching on my mushrooms (feasting is a better word!!!).
I have a 110g with 2 perculas, 1 chromis, 1 sailfin, and 1 coral beauty.
I am debating about removing the sailfin and coral beauty. Then replacing it with more passive fish.
The main reason is that the sailfin is getting too large and I have had difficulty finding something of comparable size to add. The coral beauty has succesfully herded my 2 percs into a small corner

I am looking for input and suggestions of fish to add to my 2 percs if I decide to do this.

kevin34

I would remove the sailfin because they do get very big. You could get a different tang like a kole, purple, or blue hippo to replace that. If you remove the angel too you could try a fairy wrasse and/or a different dwarf angel like a flame or a bicolor. They are a little harder to keep and not 100% reef safe but what about a copperband butterfly?

bkvreef

Originally Posted by Kevin34
I would remove the sailfin because they do get very big. You could get a different tang like a kole, purple, or blue hippo to replace that. If you remove the angel too you could try a fairy wrasse and/or a different dwarf angel like a flame or a bicolor. They are a little harder to keep and not 100% reef safe but what about a copperband butterfly?
Thanks for the reply. After the Koran I'm hesitant about anything that is questionable as far as reef safe.
My coral is pretty strong willed, how will the other dwarfs be?
I like the purple but aren't they somewhat aggressive as they mature?
I was wondering about a naso and/or a powder blue?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by bkvreef
Thanks for the reply. After the Koran I'm hesitant about anything that is questionable as far as reef safe.
My coral is pretty strong willed, how will the other dwarfs be?
I like the purple but aren't they somewhat aggressive as they mature?
I was wondering about a naso and/or a powder blue?
Your sailfin may be large, but mine has been pretty dosile to new additions, and if you do go with a naso or power blue your still going to have a relatively large fish in a short while and still be dealing with agresssion, if that is why you are reluctant to add new fish.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Your sailfin may be large, but mine has been pretty dosile to new additions, and if you do go with a naso or power blue your still going to have a relatively large fish in a short while and still be dealing with agresssion, if that is why you are reluctant to add new fish.
good point, any suggestions on reef friendly fish I could add that would be peaceful yet still add some nice color (Oh and not something that's hiding most of the day)?

stdreb27

Did you have a wrasse in there? The reef safe ones are beautiful. (But wrasses are all mean sobs) You could always do a blenny or a manderine. I think Cardinals are beautiful fish. Anthias. If you can find one get a schooling bannerfish (heniochus diphreutes) These are reef safe but the other banner fish the more common ones aren't. Butterflies too, on second though are you sure you want to get rid of your sailfin?
You might want to consider rescaping your tank, your percs should be able to fend off a coral beauty.

bkvreef

Butterflies too, on second though are you sure you want to get rid of your sailfin?
You might want to consider rescaping your tank, your percs should be able to fend off a coral beauty.
No I'm not sure.

I think the percs are nesting (if that's the right term) and thus are very particular about their area at the back corner of my tank.

stdreb27

No I'm not sure.

I think the percs are nesting (if that's the right term) and thus are very particular about their area at the back corner of my tank.
Well, all I was considering is that clowns are really fiesty, they should be able to hold their own, if that is their hole then I'd not worry about it, if they try to come out and the coral beauty goes nuts and bullies them back in. Then I'd consider moving stuff around. Might solve some problems with the sailfin too. Keep from having to move him out.

bkvreef

Well, all I was considering is that clowns are really fiesty, they should be able to hold their own, if that is their hole then I'd not worry about it, if they try to come out and the coral beauty goes nuts and bullies them back in. Then I'd consider moving stuff around. Might solve some problems with the sailfin too. Keep from having to move him out.
Thanks I appreciate it!
Now any suggestions of fish to add with my sailfin?
Would a Naso?

stdreb27

Thanks I appreciate it!
Now any suggestions of fish to add with my sailfin?
Would a Naso?
I'd think you would need a larger tank to do 2 huge tangs. I haven't had the problems with aggression like others have had. I guess I just get lucky.

kevin34

The naso will need at least a 180g tank. If you keep the sailfin I would only reccomend smaller fish like a fairy wrasse or possibly a butterfly (not 100% reef safe). I have never had someone tell me that their copperband butterfly pics at their corals though. You would just have to keep a butterfly well fed.

bkvreef

The naso will need at least a 180g tank. If you keep the sailfin I would only reccomend smaller fish like a fairy wrasse or possibly a butterfly (not 100% reef safe). I have never had someone tell me that their copperband butterfly pics at their corals though. You would just have to keep a butterfly well fed.

I was hoping to find another larger fish (I'm hesitant about butterflies)
Something that would take the place of the Koran.

kevin34

What about a rabbitfish? The magnificent foxfaces are amazing. The standard foxfaces are also very nice and cheaper.

bkvreef

What about a rabbitfish? The magnificent foxfaces are amazing. The standard foxfaces are also very nice and cheaper.
Are they reef safe (coral and inverts)?

A

azul1994

How about some schooling fish such as anthias, or add some more chromis.

kevin34

Are they reef safe (coral and inverts)?
I have heard of some rare occasions where someones foxface picks at their corals but in general, yes they are considered reef safe.

harlequinnut

I agree with the Foxface, they are reef safe and is a great community fish. I have one in my tank for a couple of years now. He eats almost everything I feed him but is primarily an algae eater.
I would not remove the sailfin only to put another large tang like a naso in you tank. A Kole tang would make a good candidate.

harlequinnut

Oh and one more thing, do try to stay away from butterflies(especially copperband).They are beautiful fishes but just doesn't have a good survival record in my experience.