Salami Trigger's Nano My Way

THIS IS A CONTINUATION FROM MY OTHER THREAD
LIVE SAND WHAT THE HELL.
Setting up my new NANO 12gal....
Got Carib Sea Ocean Direct live sand...
I want to put sand in and tranfer my live stock from existing tank..
Do I have to rinse out some of the bacter from the sand...directions making me second guess myself...comes with a clarifer..and says not to add any fish for three weeks,
I was gonna use half my water from old tank and transfer my bio media.

[hr]
OK..THIS THREAD IS MENT FOR DISCUTION AND DEBATE AMONGEST YOU GUYS.
I AM GOING TO FILL YOU IN STEP BY STEP AND WANT ALL OPINIONS BUT WILL DO IT MY WAY ONLY. I WANT TO STIR UP GOOD INTELLIGENT CONVERSATIONS AND OPINIONS.
LETS HAVE FUN.

Unpacked JBJ NANO 12gal
filled with fresh water to check for leaks and make sure all operated correctly.
Removed 1 of the 3 sponges in the first chamber leaving 2
Left bio balls and ceramic rings in 2nd chamber and added 100ml of SeaChem SeaGel and threw out that carbon that came with unit.
Third camber has pump and probe from my digital thermometer from my current 5gal.
Will not use heater at all.

Added Salt...Instant Ocean to level 1.023
Temp is 75.5
tests:
PH 8.0
TA 240
KH 250
NO2 0
NO3 0
ADDED CARAB SEA CARRIBEAN LIVE SAND ( about 10lbs ) AND VERY LITTLE OF THAT CLARIFIER THAT COMES WITH IT.
ADDED MY BIO WHEEL FROM CURRENT 5 GAL TANK. PLACED IN 2ND CHAMBER.

nissan577

hey whats up, well what you can do is add some livestock from your current tank to the 12g nano and add stuf soon. but what you wanna do is check your levels for a few days to week to check your levels. its fine adding stuff from your tank to speed up the cycle or to put stuff in fast. its great idea you have there. for my 90g ima add my LR from my 29g to help with the cycle.
HTH

aquaknight

If you wanted to avoid a cycle you should have went with dead/dried sand instead of that 'live' stuff. The reason you traditionally see an ammonia spike is because that's what your literally pouring into your tank, liquid ammonia from everything that's dead inside the bag. I would dare to say only about 5% of that bag is 'alive.' Only really anaerobic bacteria can survive in those conditions. Any microfauna/higher class organisms would almost all be dead (I'm sure there's some survivors)
With dried sand, it usually washed and there's nothing to 'rot.' You'll need to 'seed' the sand with a cup of sand from an established tank, and you won't see much of a benefit from the sandbed for a couple months. But if you want to avoid the cycle, this is the path you should have took IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with a traditional cycle though.

YES I AGREE
I am putting my bio wheel in the sump.
OBSERVATIONS about the JBJ Tank
1 LID IS NOT REALLY FLUSH WITH FRAME..I can see I will have probably lots of salt creep

2 SPONGE in filter does not come out without squeezing it
Tank got all clowdy AGAIN

3 COOLING FANS are great..never ever had a tank run cooler with the lights on

hondo

I used that same sand a few months ago, waste of $$ IMO. Nothing live about it and I really wish I had washed it first as the days long dust cloud was pretty bad. and that fine particle dust keeps moving around weaks later.