Salfin Tang...white deposits...

bigocubed

My SailFin tang has these white deposits on it's dorsal?? fins almost looks like salt has clumped in the area. I don't know how to better describe it. I do notice though that its in the area where the fins were split appart (i'm assuming from another fish attacking in the LFS). I'm not sure if it is something that needs to be treated or just watch it for it to heal itself...it's been a couple weeks now.
Any ideas out there? I really want him to be back a full health.
Thanks

hnf2k

i have that also on my cowfish who is undergoing hypo. i just assumed that it was a clump of ick. it isn't? will hypo kill it? it doesnt look like cauliflower or cheese. just like a clump of salt. it is on his fins. he has 2 balls of it.

bigocubed

Yea, Califlower would be a more accurate description...but I guess I'll just have to keep watching it...he's eating really well and doesn't really show any other problems, so I hope that it will pass soon.
Thanks, that really helped hearing what it could even possibly be.

bigocubed

HNF2K, that's what it looks like on my SailFin also, but didn't want to confuse the description with ich. But it does have that look like a clump of salt.

hnf2k

sorry, i dont wanna steal your thread, but if we have the same problem i hope you dont mind if i ask a question. is this contagious to my other fish?

bigocubed

Just wanted to give a little update. It seems like the majority of the "califlower" has fallen off and the tang seems to still be doing fine.
Thanks again