Salifert Calcium Test Question

koolaid

I just recieved the salifert test for calcium and ammonia today and am a little disapointed in the calcium test. It says to add drops untill the color turns a clear blue. Well, what do they mean by clear blue? There was no color chart and it took me 5 minutes to add a drop and stir, add a drop and stir and wondering is this the color? No, better add another drop. I know this may sound corny but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips?
By the way the ammonia test was great. I have been using the aquarium pharmaceuticals and my ammonia always showed .25. The salifert showed 0. Is showed a word? How about tested 0.
Thanks

escape2thewater

The calcium test works by the color changing from pink to blue. After you add the salt water, the CA-1 & CA2 powder the water will be a bright pink color. Then you just add drops until it turns blue. It is very noticable, you cant miss it. Then you look at how much CA3 solution is left in the cyringe and check the chart in the kit for your reading. ie- .10ml = 450ppm CA. As far as stirring, I just jiggle my test tube back and forth as I add the drops. Works good for me. Also you should try to use the low res method once you get used to the test in general. It will give you many more tests then the full res. HTH.
Kyle
:cool:

bdhough

There should be a noticable change from pink to blue. As escape said jiggle as you drop. Its a great test. The best you can buy.....

alsie

Was checking Saliferts calcium test and am curious that it goes up to 500 only. If you emptied the 1.0ml completely to get blue color what would your calcium level be. Would it be 500?

bdhough

If you emptied it and it didn't change then its over 500 but alot of time its operator error that messes the test up. Make sure you do the other parts exactly as it says and proper proportions or it throws the test way off. Try testing again. I've messed up plenty of times using it :)

M

mroli

Actually, I have sort of the same problem... I know it's the blue that indicates the calcium level, but the solution starts to change from pink to blue and it is not stable - that is, it goes back to pink after a few seconds. You have to add more to get it to stabalize. So, is it when the color turns a stable blue? or when the color starts to change at all?
Thanks
chris

alsie

Have done 2 water changes (10 gal per change) Have 54 corner unit with a 15 gal ref/fuge underneath that runs around 12 gal all the time. Calcium is now 450
salinity 1.025
PH - 8.4
Alk level 10 ( with my Tropic Marin kit 8 to 12 is OK)
Nitrate - 10
Skimmer (Nautilus TE) is back up & running (Kent support was terrific sending me a replacement exhaust tube assembly ASAP)
I know my calcium was off the charts due to overdosing due to a test kit I was using was way out of date making it NFG. With Salifert test I was using more than 1 load in the needle to get it to turn blue in the begining. Thanks for the advice guys.