Salifert Flatworm eXit

T

tizzo

I bought some, but I haven't used it yet. I am posting just to warn you (I didn't know) that once you run it you will need to run 1 lb of carbon for each 50 gallons of water in your tank. I am telling you so if you buy it from an on-line vendor (like I did), when it gets to your house, you won't be able to use it til you get the carbon.:)

krowleey

well thats just great, i dont run carbon nor do i own a hob filter.....god guess ill have to buy one seems like a waste but i want these flat worms gone! thanks for the reply...any other comments?

T

tizzo

If you have enough of them (flatworms) and they are the brown ones, a spotted mandarin will eat them. That's my next move only I need more flatworms first. They don't seem to multiply as fast as they "should". If that don't work I'm gonna do the Flatworm Exit.
If you don't have a HOB and if your PH's are protected, you could try a velvet nudibranch, they eat flatworms. But they very easily get sucked up into any intake so you gotta be careful!!

krowleey

all my PH are protected, and i have way too many flatworms. i wouldnt mind a mandarian but the thing is i dont wanna add a fish then he doesnt take care of the problem lol i wsh i could just give the flatworms to you

T

tizzo

Well, I was only gonna "try" the mandarin thing. If it don't work I'll do the flatworm exit. But my fish bible says they WILL eat them, not like the 6 line who MAY help control them... Until you do find a solution though, you can turkey baster suction them out. That's how I got my number down. Now that I want it back up, seems to be taking forever!!

T

tizzo

Try taking a flatworm to your LFS and throw it in the tank. If the mandarin eats it then buy it!!! They are usually pretty hungry anyway. Fish stores usually don't provide adaquate food for them. OK, I'll let other people post now. Sorry to have strayed your thread...

krowleey

no stray at all, in fact your the only comment so thank you. i might just do the mandarian thing, i wanted one anyways. let the tank run for over a year i think it's ready to host one, but i tell ya...flatworms are the suck they are sooo ugly and unsightly honestly it took me awile to get back into my tank now to fix the problem because of those things

T

tizzo

You'd hafta syphon out as many as you could before using Salifert's anyway. When the FWs die, they release toxic chemicals into your water and large quantities will eliminate your whole tank. That's why you hafta run the carbon. Only you have as few FWs as possible, they will still release the chemical but the carbon will adsorb it. Good luck, lemme know what you do. If I get a mandarin first, I'll let you know how it turned out.