Salinity High

se1an

My hydrometer reads 1.032 + . The fish and anenomoe and shrooms are fine. Should i lower it or no.

sean

jackri

Are you sure your hydrometer is calibrated correctly? If it is I would slowly lower it somewhere in the 1.024 - 26 range.

se1an

Ok how should i do this ive been in the hobby since christmas and should empty a gallon each day and replace it with freshwater or should i do different.

jackri

How big is your tank?
If it's a smaller tank a pitcher a day would probably work since nothing seems stressed by it.
Has your tank always had this high of salinity or just tested it out of the blue and saw a high number?

se1an

Its a 29 and when i did a water change last week thats when it got high. i tested it today since i forgot my hydrometer in school setting up a sw tank and i been told from a guy you dont need to test a lot with my fish because he rearly test his and he has at leat 30 sw tanks with corals and other sensitive fish so i kind of lack on testing. But there all fine

jackri

You really don't need to test unless you do water changes but a smaller system as a 29 will go out of wack a lot faster than larger ones. A 180g tank could do a 5 gallon swap of saltwater to fresh and probably not notice much of a difference at all. Yeah I would just slowly work on bringing it down though.

se1an

Ok thanks but does the high salinity effect the fish?
I have
1 damse
1 clown
1 blenny
2 firefish

jackri

Well if recommended levels are 1.022 - 1.026 I would say yes... doesn't seem to be in the short term in your case but long term could be devasting -- no science backing me up.

se1an

ok just tested again it is still high. im going to work on it and keep you guys updated but thanks i got 2 do some things now.

coastie81

good peice of advice is ditch the hydrometer. Spend $40 and get a refractometer, they are much more accurate.

shyfish

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/2979574
Have you double checked with a refractometer? Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.
++1 DO NOT lower the water until you double check using another hydrometer
! It won't do you any good to use the same one. Also rinse the one you are using in hot fresh water to make sure it is clean and not clogged up with salt residue.

Shyfish;2980057 said:
++1 DO NOT lower the water until you double check using another hydrometer! It won't do you any good to use the same one. Also rinse the one you are using in hot fresh water to make sure it is clean and not clogged up with salt residue.[/QUO
or get your sg tested at your lfs

aquaknight

Agreed. DON'T change anything till either you buy a refractometer (hopefully), or get the water checked at the LFS by a refractometer, or at the minimum try a 2nd hydrometer.
As someone who tried xenia, a plate coral, and a brain coral in 1.030 water, the corals should have been died already. They didn't last more then 2 hours.

nycbob

everyone should hv a refractometer along with hydrometer as backup in this hobby. its called getting a 2nd opinion.