Salinity Meter

youngsalt

Hopefully this tread won't be deleted, since Saltwaterfish.com doesn't carry Salinity meters. I am looking to buy a digital salinity meter, I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations. I was considering this one:
Digi Spec TSS Digital Temperature Salinity Specific Gravity Meter

Digi-Lab TSS is a must have for all marine and reef aquarium enthusiasts from beginner to advanced hobbyists.
It is simple to use, simply press the button and you will get your temperature / specific gravity / salinity within seconds, accurate reading will be displayed on digital LCD. Digi-Lab-TSS Meter is an innovative 3-in-1 tool that incorporates digital tests for temperature (F), salinity (ppt) and specific gravity (e.g., 1.024) displayed in scales commonly used by aquarists without the need for conversions. Monitoring the salt level in a reef aquarium is one of the most basic & important parameters to ensure a safe and optimal environment for tank inhabitants. Many organisms are not equipped for high tolerances in shifts in temperature, salinity and specific gravity for long durations without fatal consequences.
2005 Brand NEW!!! Digi-Lab TSS - Lab Grade Digital Temperature, Salinity, Specific Gravity Meter
3-in-1 Only digital meter that test for temperature, salinity and true specific gravity
Super easy to use and read results in seconds. Simply press the button and you will get Temperature / Specific Gravity / Salinity with in seconds.
Auto-Correct Only digital meter that compensates for temperature for salinity & specific gravity without the need for conversion charts.
Batteries included, Autopowerful after 5 minutes without test.
Digi Spec TSS Digital Temperature Salinity Specific Gravity Meter Specification:
Specific Gravity / Salinity (ppt) / Temperature (C or F)
Electric Conductivity Measurement system
Specific Gravity range (1.000 - 1.030 S.G.), accuracy +-0.002 S.G.
Tempurature range (0 - 70C) (32F - 158F) accuracy +- 1degrees
Salinity range (5 to 50pp 0 - 40Ct) accuracy +- 2ppt
Display: 37x12mm LCD with bar
Battery: LR44 or LR1154 x 3pc (included)
Size: (L x W x H): 0.65" x 10" x 1.25"
Regular price: $149.99
Sale price: $99.95 - You save $50.04 (33.36%)

carshark

Well this thread will probably be deleted.
Get a refractometer, fraction of that price and does the job very well. and is always accurate because of the way light is passed through the spectrum and water sample, i think it is fail safe, as long as it is mantained and calibrated correctly. to me thats the only way to go, no batteries needed, and guranteed a perfect result every time. let me know what other reviews you find on this product. I love my refractometer, and It will always be accurate, stick with what you know works for sure, after all it did say "this product has not yet been reviewed"

diane4

I normally love meters to get digital reading of my params. I bought one of these digi-meters for salinity-SG and have had nothing but trouble with it.
The first one I bought wouldn't calibrate right. Tiny plastic screw strips easy and no calibration tool is included.
I returned that unit and got a replacement. Now the thing is giving me an error when I try to take a reading, it just says error and there is no booklet with it.
I can't trust it or rely on it. I love the refractometer. I just like to have 2 different sources for testing the most important params, which are ph and salt. If the two sources agree or are close, your safe - but I have not had luck with the digi-meter. Has anyone else tried it and what do you think of it?

youngsalt

good to hear a warning. I was hopeing that I could find a very fast...click and its done...type of replacement to my cheapo hydrometer. But I sure that for $60-$100 thats not going to be possible with these hehe. Unless someone informs me of a tried and tested on, I guess I'll be safer with the refractometer.

acrylic51

They do sell digital salinity meters....Can't tell how well or accurate they are, but are sold by a reputable company....PinPoint makes the salinity meters and you can check out there site American Marine I think it is......

lion_crazz

I do like the pin point meters a lot. They read very well and are just as accurate as the refractometers. Keep in mind however, they are double the price of the refractometers.

acrylic51

Haven't used or seen the PinPoint salinity meters other than in magazines.....How often do they have to be calibrated?

diane4

The meter at the top of this thread is a piece of garbage. I won't buy one again. What a waste of money.

sleasia

I have used pinpoint for both ph reading and salinity. both absolutely suck. They claim you calibrate them once a month or so, but really you have to calibrate nearly every time and the readings never agree with anything else you use to test the water with. I folded them up, put them away, and went back to testing water with chemicles and hydrometers.

ktsdad

Our Pinpoint Salinity is also sitting under the tank all coiled up! Not real happy with it.
Been using a Refractometer for the last 9 months, love it!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sleasia
I have used pinpoint for both ph reading and salinity. both absolutely suck. They claim you calibrate them once a month or so, but really you have to calibrate nearly every time and the readings never agree with anything else you use to test the water with. I folded them up, put them away, and went back to testing water with chemicles and hydrometers.
wow, this is the first time I have ever heard this! Thanks for the heads up. I have never used one but everyone always told me that they work well.

acrylic51

I know that the PH meters need constant attention and have compared them to the Milwalkee meters and showed 2 different readings while both probes are in the same water vat. Haven't heard to much about the salinity meters, but would be curious to know if they are a pain in the

[hr]
to calibrate like the PH meters are????? How much difference in a reading do you get between your meter and your refractometer?