Salinity???

bjgwilliam

:notsure: My tank has recently completed is cycle and I have added the cleaning crew. Colors in the tank are great and the diatoms are slowly disappearing. My question is, what is optimum salinity for my reef tank???:notsure:
Thanks...:joy:

bjgwilliam

I guess I am going to need to raise the Salinity in my tank. I am at 1.022... Would this be a good idea?:notsure:

lefty

Where you have it is not necessarily fatal, but it also isn't optimum. So yes, it would be a good idea to raise it =). Don't raise it all at once though, as sudden changes in salinity can harm your tank's inhabitants. Do you use a hydrometer or refractometer?
-lefty

bjgwilliam

I am using a hydrometer. I would love to get a refractometer but its just not in the budget at this point.. I am going to slowly raise the salinity lever over the next week or so. Thanks for the info.....:yes:

cash2170

I just want to be the next in line to rave about a refractometer like so many before me. I'm a newbie and tried to take the cheap way out and used the swing arm. Mine said 1.025 but the new refractometer said 1.030! I highly recommend one. At lease make sure your swing arm is correct. Just my $0.02.

bjgwilliam

:yes: I guess its settled... I will be purchasing a refractometer sooner than later. I can see it's a small price to pay for a happy reef..:yes: :yes: :yes:

mudplayerx

Natural ocean water is at 1.024, so that is what I keep my tank at. Swing-arm hydrometers can only be relied upon if they have been calibrated by comparing them to a glass-style hydrometer used in labratories.
I am lucky because I have access to all the equipment at school :p
Don't forget that water temperature has dramatic effects on your readings. A tank tested at 75 degrees has about a 0.010 difference from a tank tested at 82 degrees.