Salinity

D

dennis210

Very neat thread, on the origional topic of Specific gravity and Salinity - I have to ask. I thought SG was temp dependant as that is why there is a temp compensation part to the formula for arriving at the value. Salinity, the percentage of the water sample that is salt, I didn't think that temp affected this one.
On a side note, been using a refractometer for a little over a year now. My SG has always been higher than the recomended - 1.023 / 1.024. I go by the other side of the scale for salinity. Most reading I have done suggests Salinity of 35 / 36. I run 36 and it corresponds to SG of 1.0265 on the scale.
I have checked the calibration many times. Have noticed the corals due much much better, fish going through acclimation need time though. Once in system they do great. Anyone else with similar findings out there?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2923970
Very neat thread, on the origional topic of Specific gravity and Salinity - I have to ask. I thought SG was temp dependant as that is why there is a temp compensation part to the formula for arriving at the value. Salinity, the percentage of the water sample that is salt, I didn't think that temp affected this one.
On a side note, been using a refractometer for a little over a year now. My SG has always been higher than the recomended - 1.023 / 1.024. I go by the other side of the scale for salinity. Most reading I have done suggests Salinity of 35 / 36. I run 36 and it corresponds to SG of 1.0265 on the scale.
I have checked the calibration many times. Have noticed the corals due much much better, fish going through acclimation need time though. Once in system they do great. Anyone else with similar findings out there?
Most reefs run at 1.025 or 1.026. If you're FO you can be lower, but the ocean itself is that high, and the corals and inverts don't tolerate the lower salinity as well.