Salinty Vs. Specific Gravity During Hyposalinity

firstborn

I am in the final stages of lowering my salinity for Hyposalinity.
I am using a refractometer with ATC that has been calibrated using distilled water.
The refractometer reads 14ppt, but the specific gravity is around 1.010.
If I want to get the specific gravity down to 1.009, the salinity is going to be around 13ppt or 12ppt on my refractometer.
Could an expert please give me some guidance with this?
Thanks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Firstborn
I am in the final stages of lowering my salinity for Hyposalinity.
I am using a refractometer with ATC that has been calibrated using distilled water.
The refractometer reads 14ppt, but the specific gravity is around 1.010.
If I want to get the specific gravity down to 1.009, the salinity is going to be around 13ppt or 12ppt on my refractometer.
Could an expert please give me some guidance with this?
Thanks
Your's must be different than mine, or perhaps you are not reading it correctly. At 14ppt that is 1.009 on mine. You want the SG at 1.009. On my refratometer 1.010 lines up with 15ppt for salinity. Are you sure you are reading it correctly?

firstborn

My last water change ended up bringing it down to 1.008 & 11ppt.
The fish have been in this state for about 12 hours, and show no sign of stress. They are swimming and eating normally. The Ick is having a

[hr]
attack, and knows the hour of its doom is near. Most of the spots are already gone.

Are my fish in danger at 1.008 & 11ppt? I really do not want to put additional instant ocean in, as there is a high likely hood it will raise it beyond 1.009 & 12-14ppt.
Am I okay with this? Thoughts?

lion_crazz

I would not raise it now, but I would also not leave it at 1.008 for very long.
When you premix your water, make sure that you make it to the exact same temperature as your hypo tank. Also make sure that it is 1.009 exactly, as well. Both of these things are crucial.
I am happy to hear that the ich is dropping off though.

nicetry

Originally Posted by Firstborn
My last water change ended up bringing it down to 1.008 & 11ppt.
The fish have been in this state for about 12 hours, and show no sign of stress. They are swimming and eating normally. The Ick is having a

[hr]
attack, and knows the hour of its doom is near. Most of the spots are already gone.

Are my fish in danger at 1.008 & 11ppt? I really do not want to put additional instant ocean in, as there is a high likely hood it will raise it beyond 1.009 & 12-14ppt.
Am I okay with this? Thoughts?
You're still okay but as LC stated, don't allow it to drop any further. Reef fish have an internal salinity of 11-12 ppt. It's questionanble how they tolerate external salinities lower than their own. Some studies have been done in which certain fish (emperor angels) were kept in salinities of 7 ppt for a month with no ill effects, so it can be "assumed" that a fish might be safe once you cross the line of their own internal salinity level. I wouldn't risk it.

firstborn

Thanks Folks.
As a point of reference, the Oklahoma Aquarium quarantines all new fish at 1.008 & 11ppt for 30-45 days. They claim they have seen greater results with Ick at this salinity.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm
"At the Oklahoma Aquarium, the use of hyposalinity has been modified from what is commonly used to a longer treatment. This treatment lasts throughout the time the fish are in quarantine, typically 30 to 45 days pending any disease occurrence. Salinity in the systems are also maintained at 11ppt. At this salinity, the Oklahoma Aquarium staff has seen a more rapid resolution of disease such as cryptocarion. The lowered salinity has also proven to be more consistent in preventing reoccurrence of a disease as well as new outbreaks.
When new acquisitions arrive at the quarantine facility, the main acclimation concerns are pH, temperature, and detoxifying the free ammonia. The acclimation process brings the salinity of the newly arrived fish down gradually although this is not the determining factor in introduction of the new acusitions. On several occasions we have received large numbers of fish at the same time all being introduced into an empty system. In these cases, the tank in which the new fish are being introduced to is acclimated to the newly arrived animals. The pH and temperature are adjusted down according to the arriving transport boxes. Salinity in the new tank is at 11ppt (1.008 SG) and the new arrivals are typically between 30 and 33ppt (1.023-1.027 SG). After adjusting pH, temperature, and detoxification of the ammonia, the animals are introduced into the tank. This is an immediate drop of 19 to 22ppt. These animals have shown no signs of shock or stress outside of what would be considered normal through shipping and handling. Quite often, species generally considered delicate and touchy to acclimate have done well in 11ppt and feed normally the next day. In the two years the quarantine facility has been in operation, only one case of cryptocarian has been seen. In this case, the salinity of the system was at 16ppt through an improper water change. Not only has cryptocarian been eliminated as a quarantine concern, the external trematode and protazoal infections have been reduced as well. The significance of holding all of the quarantine tanks at 11ppt has been the inability of these parasites to gain a foothold and reproduce. This has been valuable in preventing the recontamination of systems that might have occured if salinity was raised at some point through quarantine. No noticeable difference has been seen in internal parasitic infestations or bacterial disease. This was the expected result as the internal tissues would maintain a static osmolar concentration. More research is ongoing in these areas, although it is too soon to tell if any significant changes are occurring."