Sallnity Spike????

kilbys4

What would cause my sallnity level to spike above 1.030 specific gravity? I do a 10% change in my 45gal corner around 1 time per week with water that has a specific gravity between 1.021 and 1.024. how can I get it back in line without hurting my system?

elfdoctors

How are you handling evaporation? Once the furnace is on in your house you will have more evaporation. You may need to be topping off with more RO water (not seawater).
How are you measuring your specific gravity? (Salinity would never be reported as 1.030). If you are not using a floating hydrometer or a refractometer your measuring devise may not be working properly and giving you spurious readings.
If the readings are accurate. You need to bring the specific gravity down gradually (particularly if there are invertebrates in the tank, fish can have the salinity drop much quicker). I would suggest dropping it down by adding more dilute water as part of your water change or not filling up the tank all the way and adding RO water gradually (perhaps over a week) until the specific gravity got up to where you wanted.

kilbys4

Yea, I.m losing about 3gal a week to evaporationand getting alot of salt build up on the outside parts of filter. I have not added any water to replace this just during my regular water change which is with salt. Should I just add water without the salt each time I loose it because of evaporation until my scheduled 10% change?

aarone

difinately....if you add salted water it just increses the SG since the salt from the evaporated water is still there.
aaron

kilbys4

:eek: How stupid could I have been, I should of realized the saltwasnt evaporating too! I hope i havent hurt any of my critters.
Thanks