Sally LightFoot, Emerlad Crab, what else?

mike35019

I have a 55 reef thats been up for almost 3 months. Everything is going really well with the exception of a small cyano outbreak, but I think I have it in check. I have in the tank a small CUC snails only with a cleaner shrimp and coral banded shrimp and 4 fish. I want to add more little things, like crabs, shrimp etc. What else is out there? How are emerald crabs and sally light foots in reefs? DOn't want any hermits though.

zoocraze

Mike,
I have both, emerald crabs and sally light foot crabs in my DT. They will clean up the rocks but I have never seen them on the sand. Both are pretty good for eating algae. You can get a bunch of things to clean up your sand...sand sifting crabs, a bunch of gobies, or a sand sifting starfish.

natclanwy

Sally Lightfoots can be pretty aggressive toward other crabs and shrimp they do leave hermits alone though or at least mine does. They are a very large and interesting crab to have, and mine seems to have a fair amount of personality it runs out and tries to attack my wife through the glass when my wife is near the tank, doesn't do it to me though
Emerald crabs can be a nice addition to your cleanup crew but you will likely never see it since they hide in the rock and generally only come out at night. They also have been know to start eating coral.

hlcroghan

sally light foots can be aggresssive but so can coral banded shrimp so be careful what you put with them...
my emerald is out and about all the time and he did try some of my duncans once but immediately spit it out and backed away so I suppose it is what kind of corals you have....

mike35019

For Corals: Pumping Xenia, Mushrooms, Hammer, and GSP.
Are emeralds known to pick at these?
Also say I put in 1 emerald, 1 sally with my CBS and cleaner. Would they all get along? My CBS is aggressive and will go after anything that gets to close to him.

scottallert

those are all aggressive except the cleaner, emerald crabs are known to pick at corals too. just get alot of snails they work the best for me expecially a conch.