Sally lightfoot

rescuediver

Hello
I havcea a sally lightfoot crab in my 55 gallon aquarium - Im working on a reef system - Are these crabs safe for a reef - or should I get him outta there?
Thanks

wamp

I have had many in my reef tanks over the years. I think they are reef safe. I have never seen them do anything for me to say they are not. They are crabs though, never know what they will do next.....

lu

I thought mine was reef safe too but yesterday I watched as he ATE my start polyp. Made me sick....
I'm not so sure I can get him unless I strip my tank down with all the lr AGAIN and I don't want to do that if I can help it. It's a 2 day job. One day to take it apart and one day to put it back together. Anyway, hope yours isn't the destructive type....good luck!

drkegel

I've had mixed experiences with them. The first one, a small one, was harmless, didn't pester anything.
The second one I had, a rather large one, was mean. Tore my hermits out of their shells and ate them. He was a real ornary old cuss.
I think it's a 50/50 shot with them, and the older they get, the meaner they get, it seems to me.

brian'sreef

i personally wouldn't put one in a reef tank while they are normally considered reef safe they are still a crab and like most crabs they are scavengers who will eat just about anything that they feel like.. like hermits while they may not kill as soon as something dies they go to work on it.. i'd take the sally out if i were you
Brian