Sally lightfoot ?

bwmichael21

Alright i've read that a sally lightfoot crab is great for eating algea. I have a CBS, Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp, snails, and hermits. Will a sally lightfoot crab prey on any of these. I also have a brittle star.
thanks
michael

krishj39

WILL it? Who can say? Is it likely a sally would bother those? Nope. But, with any kind of crab you have no guarantees on what they are safe to keep with. IME, sallys are completely reef safe. But, that doesn't mean you won't have problems with yours. A crab of any kind is always a gamble.

N

nanoambiance

I understand the gamble part with any crabs, but in your opinion, which ones have the "BEST ODDS" then? Blue leg or red leg hermits, emeralds, pom pom crabs?
I know from friend's experience that arrows and decorators are unsafe
I would be interested in doing a nano with LR, a feather duster cluster and maybe an emerald or a pom pom?

curtis12282

I really dont have much experiance but for the 4 weeks ive had my crabs. I have had NO problems with Emerald, Scarlet or Blue Leg. I always see my Emeralds eating stuff off my liverock.

kreach

I have 2 sally lightfoots in with a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, blue legged hermits and various snails... never had a single problem with my sallys.

kreach

I also have a brittle star in there too... the sallys have never bothered it either.

wyldgunz

I have a sally and it has never bothered any of the snails or crabs/hermits i have they are a very easy to get along with crab.

kreach

Sally's are omnivores... mine are constantly picking at the rocks and algae, but they also get really excited when I feed the fish with brine shrimp, mysis or other meaty foods.

saban2013

Wow, what a mixed bag the Sally's are. Yes they can be good at algae eating, but have been known to prey on smaller shrimp and almost any snail. I always suggest watching any new entries and be prepared to remove them in a hurry if any aggression is observed.

spanko

Opportunistic omnivores as they get larger they can be a threat to small fishes.
Crabs are evil!!!