salt exposed to moisture

briandg

I was getting ready to make a mixture of saltwater tonight. When I got out my bucket of salt, I realized I must not have gotten the lid on tight enough last time I used it, and now it's hard as a rock. Is this salt still ok to use, I know it hasn't been exposed to any chemicals, it's just been really humid here and I didn't get the lid tight enough. If someone can answer as soon as possible I'd appreciate it, I need to do a water change as my trates have increased a little and I need to bring them down.
Thanks,
Brian

v-lioness

It's Hot & Humid here also, my salt is more like a salt block......

Use It!!!! I have used mine this way over the past few years, every summer....lol
Kaye

briandg

Thanks for the reply, it just made me nervous. I don't know if I'm just looking at the buckets more carefully because of it, but it looks like little salt granules (or something white) are floating on the top of the buckets after hand mixing it, I always run powerheads in them overnight to make sure they're mixed, but I don't remember seeing the white stuff floating in the top before.

v-lioness

I get the same thing on mine, I point my powerheads towards the top to help mix it, I have a long plastic rod I use to stir when I see floaties, and you are right I only seem to see these when my salt hardens.........
Kaye

briandg

Thanks again, I feel better, just curious though, do you still have the floaties in your main tank after transfering it, or do the powerheads help to keep it mixed where you don't see them?

v-lioness

I never see them in my display tank but I fill back through my sump..... If you syphon back in you can put a filter sock at the end of your hose.
Kaye

briandg

Thanks, I don't have a sump, so I probably should use a filter sock (which I don't have). Guess I'll do the water change monday evening.
Thanks Again,
Brian

mikeyjer

I wish my salt mix was hard as a rock, it was soggy and icky....I dunno how moisture got in there....I have my air running at a pretty steady temp at 70.... :happyfish

aphrodite

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the floaties... I was wondering about those. :notsure: I have been using a brine shrimp net to remove them from my water.

gsd

Odds are the white things that float are precipated mimnerals that came out of the salt. Odds are they will not go back into a dissolved state, but in no way will hurt whats in the tank. Its just like aragonite sand in one way. Your trace minerals may be off due to this precipatate.