Salt Level For Inverts

bang guy

A Salinity of 35ppt up to 37ppt is good for most inverts.
A Specific Gravity of 1.022 is quite low except for Gulf of Mexico and estuary animals. At 80F that's a Salinity of 32ppt.

sepulatian

A specific gravity of 1.025-1.026 is ideal for most inverts. What inverts do you have in there? Bring it up slowly.

1journeyman

My local fish store owner's jaw dropped to the floor when I told him I kept my reef salinity at 1.026. He couldn't believe I kept it that "high".
Needless to say I don't ask them any questions....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
My local fish store owner's jaw dropped to the floor when I told him I kept my reef salinity at 1.026. He couldn't believe I kept it that "high".
Needless to say I don't ask them any questions....
Yeah, my distibutor was the same way. They keep the inverts at 1.023 but they don't have them long.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
A Salinity of 35ppt up to 37ppt is good for most inverts.
A Specific Gravity of 1.022 is quite low except for Gulf of Mexico and estuary animals. At 80F that's a Salinity of 32ppt.
What does "ppt" mean (parts per...)? What's the formula to determine "ppt?"

bang guy

ppt - Parts Per Thousand.
A refractometer or a Conductivity Meter (TDS Meter) will measure Salinity directly.
Hydrometers like the glass floater or the swing-arm measure Specific Gravity. To determine the Salinity from a hydrometer you also need to know the temperature of the water and a chart.

Where might I see the chart you are speaking of? I do use a swing-arm hydrometer and it is saying 1.026 and I had it verified with my LFS. Temp is 81.5 in the day and 80.5 at night.