Salt Mix has hardened

coral head

I have kept some Instant Ocean in a Rubbermaid container. I just opened it and discovered it has solidified in one solid chunk.
Can I still use it?

snakeblitz33

solidification is caused by water vapor...
It depends on if you want to use it or not.
I've used that kind of salt for water changes before without any problems...

karak40

check and see if it is solid throughout. That happened to me but its usually the top the hardens. once you break through the top layer it should be soft underneath.

coral head

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2951847
solidification is caused by water vapor...
It depends on if you want to use it or not.
I've used that kind of salt for water changes before without any problems...
"check and see if it is solid throughout. That happened to me but its usually the top the hardens. once you break through the top layer it should be soft underneath."
Thank you for your replies.

t316

Try it. If you can get it to dissolve then use it. If some of it does not dissolve but rather floats around as crud, net that stuff out, check how much your salinity is off, and add more until you have it right.

perfectdark

Using salt that has been subject to humidity will hold phosphates which will in turn be added to your system if you use it. If it clumps get rid of it... It also can bind up certain trace elements out of solution most likely not noticible amounts but I would be more concerned with the phosphates... next time fill a nylon stocking with white rice and throw it in your salt bucket.