Salt mix showdown!!!! Best and worst!!

75bownut

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. I would like everyone to weigh in on what is there favorite salt mix! Good or bad, then we could do a couple polls etc.... to see what the top salt mixes are for a reef, or fish only tanks. Please try to support you position as best you can. If this works out we may have some people really learn alot for this. Example I started my reef with Oceanic salt and switched to tropic marin pro reef because.......Good luck to all and Please understand that alot of folks love there salt and will never switch, but If you can support your findings they may want to explore why they have had certain problems and you have not!

samidavis

Crystal Sea Marine Mix is the best, not mined from Chinese salt mines as is the case with Oceanic,also loaded with kelators. Crystal sea is made in Maryland, and is the only choice of major aquariums and Universities......look it up you'll see......Chemistry is extremely stable with this salt!!

darknes

I use Oceanic and always have. Just works well for me and haven't had any problems with it yet.

chipmaker

I use NSW whenever I can, and thats most of the time, but I do keep a container of Instant Ocean handy just in case. Before I switched to locally collected saltwater I always used Instant Ocean and never had a problem........but locally collected NSW is free for me so I use it.

dogstar

Tropic Marin Regular
40gl. mixed over night, ariated to Ox. 6.5 ppm at 79 F. RO/DI
SG 1.026
pH 8.3
Am., Ni., Na., Pho., Sil., Cop. 0.0
Cal. 440 ppm
Mag. 1300 mq/l
Id. .05
Borate 1.0
dkH 11
T.Alk. 3.85
As always....Im happy with it.

hot883

I had alot of low calcium troubles with Instant Ocean. I switched to Oceanic and love it.

75bownut

Well seeing as I started this thing I figured I better put my 2 cents in. I did start with oceanic and I thought it was ok salt, but I always had a hard time getting it to buffer past 8.0. I just started doing water changes with Tropic marin pro reef. After 4 water changes what I have found is that my ph now will go to about 8.17 and holds pretty well, my calcium is a little high at about 485 and Ive heard that the mag is low with TM Pro. No verification of that yet got a test kit coming for that soon. Other than that my corals are starting to look much better so far so good I say!!! TM gets a thumbs up
and Oceanic gets a so-so hand waver

ram6519

I use IO salt and have been having major issues keeping my Cal above 320. So this weekend when I did my weekly water change this is what the readings were.
sg - 1.026
Alk - 8 dkh
Cal - 320
I will be changing to another salt by my next water change this weekend. Any suggestions??? My LFS wants me to change to Reef Crystals. Anyone have any reading using this salt???

lion_crazz

I love Oceanic. It is all I have used for 2 years now.
Honestly, I think Crystal Sea is the lowest on the list as far as salts go. It is used by major aquairums and such because it is the cheapest (by far), and does have a stable hardness level. The calcium level in it is extremely low though.
Out of the major brands I have used, I would rank them:
-Tropic Marin
-Oceanic/SeaChem
-Red Sea/Reef Crystals
-Instant Ocean
-Coralife
-Crystal Sea

J

jupoc911

T & M. by far the best. I would then say instant ocean as long as you buffer before you put in your tank.

widowmaker

i haven't mix the water/salt for my new 240 gal, yet, so i can't testify to the best brand, but i'm thinking for sure, that the worst brand would be morton's. i'm really liking what i read about this tropic marin stuff though.

darknes

Originally Posted by widowmaker
i haven't mix the water/salt for my new 240 gal, yet, so i can't testify to the best brand, but i'm thinking for sure, that the worst brand would be morton's. i'm really liking what i read about this tropic marin stuff though.
Morton's Table Salt???
Yeah, that would definitely be the WORST salt to use for your tank!

bonebrake

I am one of the few that use Red Sea.
My reason for this is that it is partially made from evaporated ocean water and I believe that there may be some trace elements in there that are lacking in the 100% synthetic salts. Straight Red Sea salt needs additional buffer and calcium, but I don't mind adding that prior to a water change. However, Red Sea has a new salt mix specifically designed for reef tanks that has appropriate levels of buffer and calcium, I have not had a chance to buy it yet though.
:joy:

rusting

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
I am one of the few that use Red Sea.
My reason for this is that it is partially made from evaporated ocean water and I believe that there may be some trace elements in there that are lacking in the 100% synthetic salts. Straight Red Sea salt needs additional buffer and calcium, but I don't mind adding that prior to a water change. However, Red Sea has a new salt mix specifically designed for reef tanks that has appropriate levels of buffer and calcium, I have not had a chance to buy it yet though.
:joy:
I also use Red Sea coral pro for RO water cal. is great.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by rusting
I also use Red Sea coral pro for RO water cal. is great.
Good to know, thanks Rusting!
What does it normally cost for a bucket and how many gallons can a bucket make?
:notsure: