Salt mix survey

lubeck

I will post mine later, my Tropic Marin Pro Reef just got it Friday I have already done two water changes each 18 gallons on my 110 gallon reef tank. I can't remember what the readings were but the cal/mag/alk was better than the IO mix I have used since i started this tank in May 05. I also bought All Salifert Test Kits.
I did this post so I could find it later.

turningtim

Lubeck, how are you likeing the pro reef. I'm almost out of the TM and thinking I might go with the pro.
Thanks
Tim

lubeck

Well Heres my specs on a batch of Tropic Marin Pro Reef, like stated in a earlier post, I use a 4 to 1 ratio. I still have a Whole bucket IO left so i am putting about 8 cups of Marin Pro Reef, and about 2 cups of IO.
All Salifert
Specific Gravity-1.025
Calcium-430
Mag-1170 ; I just tested my DT water and it said 1290, I added like 25cc of Salifert Mag.about 4
days ago
Alk- 2.97; DT is at 3.25 Why is the FSW so low in Alk?
pH-8.2
Temp about 77

dejaco

Hope it's not too late to get on this thread.
Instant ocean salt mix
mixed at exactly 2 1/2 cups per 5 gallons RO/DI water
mixed for 24 hours
Temp at 71 degrees F
SG tested with floating hydrometer 1.0235
Ph tested with electronic HACH meter 8.3
the rest of the tests were done with HAGEN test kits
Am 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
Ca 440
Alk 140 ppm CaCO3 or 7.8 dKH
This has been my problem with Instont Ocean - I constantly have to raise Alk with Kent's dKH Super Buffer. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

finn-a-gin

I made the mistake a while back, and bought salt on "sale"
I have never had trouble with hair algae and corals perishing till then.
Anyway..Instant Ocean
Always adding Superbuffer and liquid calcium. Never can maintain levels too long.
Change water:
1.026 -Refractometer
DKH 8.0- aquarium pharmaceuticals
Calcium 320- hagen
pH 8.2- hagen
temp 81- digital
I think that a change is in order.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by mrdc
I know Thomas has a salt thread if he cares to add my mini diagnosis. I am focusing on ca and alk since I am too tired to test for other things such as magnesium. Anyway, I have been using regular instant ocean and have to add ca and alk to get my levels up. My IO tests have been 360 on the prepared water with a 5 dkh. Tested it on the last three changes and I am using a Hagen ca test and a fastest alk.
Doing a water change now using reef crystals. Ca tests between 440 - 500. Tested it 2 times. Alk is 9 on both tests.
Current ca and alk on main tank. Ca = 500 and alk = 10 dkh. NM, remember those days not too long ago where I couldn't get the CA over 200

I will post later what the main tank paramters go to after the change. Probably will wait an hour or so before testing.
To be continued ...
What the heck ... I will test mag ...

sharkbait9

CORALIFE SALT SCIENTIFIC GRADE
testing done 12 hrs later with out any additives just power head mixing RO/DI water
Ammonia - 0 salifert
Nitrate - 0 salifert
Nitrite - 0 salifert
pH 8.2
Alk - 3.9 meq/l salifert
dKH - 8.6 value
Ca - 480ppm nutrafin
Mag - 1350ppm salifert
po4 - 0 nutrafin
Iodine - iodide 0.02 ppm and iodate 0.06 ppm salifert
Temp - 78
Salinity - 1.026 swing arm and refrac meter both reading the same.

T

thomas712

glowplug
I don't think its a matter of winning, I think its a matter of who is coming out with the most consistant mix.
Please post back with the results of testing your first batch from your new salt.

fishy7

unleashed said:
Hey thomas I just kind of fell onto this thread but sinse you have an interest in comparable salt mixtures about consitancy of brands I thought this may be of interest to you. The S-15™ Report™ is the first and only independent comparative assay of 15 different brands of artificial or synthetic sea salts. It was commissioned and paid for by Global Scientific Publications. GSP is not in any way affiliated with any manufacturer of sea salts. Nor, is any manufacturer of synthetic sea salts associated with Global Scientific Publications.
A freind of mine is the CEO for a marine supplies company.He has written articles for reef magazine and many others, Also a speeker at many marine hobby and aquarium related functions.I cant post the web link to this report,because it is linked to another supplier which is against this sites policy .But if you would like to veiw the R15 reports and its finding feel free to email me I'll be more than happy to send them to you.I found it very interesting reading and very informative. lyndog13@aol.com if you like to research this is a good one
I am ready to start mixing my own salt and read this interesting article, does any have experience with their #1 rated salt? Marine Environment

T

thomas712

I've seen the article when it first came out, found it rather one sided. Never used thier salt though.

fishy7

Hey Thomas, I can see the one sided info but, hard to dispute scientific facts. :thinking:
Anyone else use even their #2 salt BIO SEA or #3 Coral Marine? :thinking:

sleasia

Well Oceanic definately has high ca reads...which is probably ok for reefers, but proved lethal for my seastars in a fowlr tank.

sleasia

This is nice to have these parameters for comparison...but one point which I think Ophiura made, when I was thinking of doing this a few weeks ago, is that probably each salt company will have wide variations in their own salt from batch to batch. It all depends on how precise they do their mixes...anotherwords two buckets of instant ocean for example, are likely to test out differently even though they are mixed to the same sp gr temp and ph...because their additives may not be added with great precision. but I think in general it is useful to know for example that oceanic consistently tests higher for calcium...

anthonym28

I am using TM Pro also, but I think I am going to switch to just TM. I don't like the ALK and MAG levels. At 1.026 the ALK is 6.7 dkh and the MAG is under 1200 PPM, can't remember the exact number. All my testing is done with Salifert. I am using Randy Holmes Farely's two part solution to increase my ALK and MAG, but this is the last bucket of TM Pro I am buying. I am tired of mixing baking soda and epsom salt and magnesium.
Originally Posted by Lubeck
Well Heres my specs on a batch of Tropic Marin Pro Reef, like stated in a earlier post, I use a 4 to 1 ratio. I still have a Whole bucket IO left so i am putting about 8 cups of Marin Pro Reef, and about 2 cups of IO.
All Salifert
Specific Gravity-1.025
Calcium-430
Mag-1170 ; I just tested my DT water and it said 1290, I added like 25cc of Salifert Mag.about 4
days ago
Alk- 2.97; DT is at 3.25 Why is the FSW so low in Alk?
pH-8.2
Temp about 77