salt mixes

o.nerka

I am wondering if there is much difference in teh type of salt you use for your system.....i am currently in the process of setting up a 90g fish-only-with-LR tank and am wondering which type of salt to go with. I also know that this is an expensive hobby and you should not cut corners but if I can safely sae money I am going to do so......here are the types of salt mix I have come across where I live, I remind you teh prices are CAN and I don't have much to choose from....
All of these are prices on the large buckets (for 200g):
-Instant ocean ($99.99)
-Kent marine ($84.99)
-Red Sea ($45.99)
Because this tank is costintg em so much money I am tempted to go with the Red Sea....or is this stuff crap??? What do you think and which would YOU choose??? Thankx for any help in advance!

benj2112

Well, I would say try and find some Oceanic if you can. I will be switching to it when I finish my current 200g bucket.
I actually use Red Sea. It has been pretty good (for the 9 months I have had my tank going anyway). I would think you would be safe using it if you can't find Oceanic. Like most salts except Oceanic it is poor on Ca, but actually pretty decent on Magnesium.

donmgicwon

Not sure what Oceanic costs but why would you pay a premium for it when Red Sea works fine and you can just add some extra Ca..:notsure:

wablondie98664

those prices for salt are outragous!! i switced to oceanic a couple months ago and i got a 200 gal bucket for $38 on sale, but regular $44. great salt too btw

o.nerka

Originally posted by wablondie98664
those prices for salt are outragous!! i switced to oceanic a couple months ago and i got a 200 gal bucket for $38 on sale, but regular $44. great salt too btw

those prices are in Canadian...plus I live fairly far north so everything costs alot...:mad:

donmgicwon

When your talking 60+ lbs. shipping is a factor. I can get IO for $54.00 delivered. Last time an LFS here had IO 50 gal. bags on sale for 10.99 I bought 10 bags, plus I already had a 200 gal bucket. so I'm set for a little while. I always have one eye open for a sale though.

benj2112

Originally posted by donmgicwon
Not sure what Oceanic costs but why would you pay a premium for it when Red Sea works fine and you can just add some extra Ca..:notsure:

Was this question directed at me?
Oceanic isn't at a premium (at least were I am at)...same as IO and much better when mixing and for Ca.

dragonboy

Tropic Marin is good too but its pretty pricey as well but I'm most of the salts brands are pretty good.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by benj2112
Was this question directed at me?
Oceanic isn't at a premium (at least were I am at)...same as IO and much better when mixing and for Ca.

No, it was directed at O, he was the one that listed the prices but I guess you were the one tha brought up Oceanic. So I guess I really don't remember. Bother

I use Oceanic and so far I love it. It mixes very fast. I get mine for $39.99 plus $18 shipping. I wouldnt pay an instore price. check online and check their shipping to you. If you like you can email me and I will give you some addys of places that sell Oceanic. KSJefferies@hotmail.com

samantha68

I am also in canada and our prices are different then the states ...i pay 79.99 for instant ocean bucket that does 160 us gallons.....it sucks ..I have never tried any other salt .this one seems to work well
I know people that use other types (cheaper) and they have no problem..I think it's like buying no name food or clothes verses named...it your choice and what you can afford to buy

benj2112

Hey O.nerka...how about those Calgary flames being Western Conference Champoins...fun seeing Mike Commodore aka "Side Show Bob" play at the NHL level...he was at UND back when I went to school there and the games were always a must see.

benj2112

Hey...cool comparisons (although numbers would have been nice to see as well).
Is there a difference between Ionic Nitrate and the Nitrate we are always talking about in our tanks? I see it says (NO3-:N) under it. I am not sure what the -:N part means.
Also, most salts all say they have no Nitrates or Phosphates and this chart says most are substantially high.

o.nerka

Originally posted by benj2112
Hey O.nerka...how about those Calgary flames being Western Conference Champoins...fun seeing Mike Commodore aka "Side Show Bob" play at the NHL level...he was at UND back when I went to school there and the games were always a must see.

]
yah how bout thos flames~!!! I was kinda pissed that they beat my team (canucks) but now I hope they give Tampa a lickin!!