salt test ?

u235a4

i have been useing my old seatest and keeping the sg around 1.022 and 1.023 i just got new seatest yesterday and tested the sg today and it was 1.025 at 82degrees . so i got the old one and it was 22 -23 which one should i go by or should i get another one and use which too read the same ... no tank problems and everything has great color and growing

dburr

Take some water to the LFS and have them check it on the refractometer. You will know which one is off and how much, then you can make adjustments.
HTH

gregzbobo

box type hydrometers tend to vary in accuracy, you might go to one of your lfs's and ask if they have a refractometer you can test yours on. Just test a samle of water on your seatest and have them test the same sample on thier refractometer, then note the difference and keep that in mind whenever you use your seatest. It might even be a good idea to engrave the difference on the back of the seatest so you always know it.

reef fool

I got tired of inaccurate Salinity readings so I bought a refractometer. I have two cheap Hydrometers and they are also very different from each other. They are also diffferent than my refractometer. Throw out the plastic and buy one or bum one off the LFS! They are usually happy to test your water (if you trust them!)

jonthefb

wow your guys's lfs really have refractometers? out of all the lfs's ive visited in colorado (about 13) one, a high class place in Denver had a refractometer that they used to test salininty. i purchased one for 50 bucks for my 135 and it has been a godsend. id say fork out th emoolah and get one!
good luck
jon

rsd

Have you ever "rinsed" you meter. I have a couple and every now and then once every 6 months I go through and wash all my vials and meters in white vinager(dilluted) to remove build-ups.... makes a huge difference in calcium test kits and sometimes hydrometers. Then I have the lfs double check my accuracy.