salt water fish die real easy dont they?

clairebear

OK how the heck do you keep saltwater fish. They die soooo easyly and are sooo costly. I mean how could you keep those fish without them going belly up?? Not that I have any but I have heard that they are for experts only.
clairebear

fishy411

not all sw fish. Most are fairly easy to keep. Damsels cost 5 dollars and are just about impossible to kill

scoobydoo

Saltwater isn't that much harder. You just need to research, research, research. You also MUST have a QT tank.

scubadoo

I have been in this hobby for about 30 years. Most people experience fish loss when they first set-up their tank. This is often due to lack of knowledge and a tank that is "unseasoned". Many hobbyist will tell you in the first year you may lose two fish for every one that survives. Currently, I have a Niger Trigger for five years, a Sohal Tang for 4 years, a zebra damsel for 5years and a yellow tang for 4 years. It has been years since I have lost a fish. I recently moved all the fish into a larger aquarium and lost nothing. The fish were outgrowing the tank they were in and I will eventaully need to get a bigger tank than the one I just upsized to.
I beleive a tank with live rock is the way to go. The fish seem happeier and healthier. The best filter equipment tto have is probably a refugium and/or good protein skimmer.
If you do your reserach before setting up a tank you can minimize your losses early on. Most people when they first get in the hobby (including me) rush to stock their tanks only to be frustrated when the fish start dying..
There are certain salt water fish that are difficult to keep as they do not do well in aquariums...Moorish Idols are a good example.
Just my opinion.....I do not claim to be an expert.

nm reef

I don't believe saltwater species are very difficult to keep. Especially if care is taken to provide the proper conditions. That is the major difference between fresh water systems and salt water systems...preperation and research. In the proper conditions many salt water species can easily life for many many years.:thinking:

900dublr

what they said
. Also some people make the mistake of listening to the guy at a lfs. Sometimes they sell you stuff you don't need and give bad advice. By doing some research or buying a book you shouldnt have that problem. What part of ky are u from?

cgpuffers

I only did Freshwater for six months before I decided I was ready for Saltwater. I only lost two fish in the Saltwater hobby and I've been going for on three years now. To me it isn't much harder at all. With proper research and a good plan, you can be well on your way in no time. however I would get some experience in Freshwater first.

dory36

I lost a bunch of fish when I first started my freshwater tanks. Mainly because I didn't know what I was doing. After a few years I figured it out and have been able to keep freshwater fish for years. When we started our salt water tank back in August I made sure I asked lots of questions and did plenty of research. I haven't lost a fish yet and am actually having better success than when I started out with fresh.

cbort

Learn all you can off of these forums!!! And most of all take advice from the people on here before the LFS!!!! I found out the hard way.
Keep reading posts and discussions off of this forum ( These people know what they are talking about, and have a real passion for this hobby.)
Curtis

icepenguin

I was also nerved by the thought of saltwater and how hard it could be to do,and I just set up one and it isn't really difficult.Just a lot of reading(wish they made a movie).The only thing difficult about saltwater is seeing your money go by-by.And my personel opinion is that not all LFS are out to make a quick buck,I know of a couple that helped or detered me from things and they could've made a quick buck.There are still some honest people out there.

unleashed

I had fresh water tanks all my life largest tank was 55 gal.when I got my 125 gal i decided it was time for some real fish when i say real fish i mean something other than cichlids or goldish. fresh water fish just dont compare to the beautiful selection marine tanks offer.when you decide to go salt just do as much research as possable before purchasing any fish or stock.not all fish are meant to live with any other fish you have to be certain that ther are compatible before blowing your money.also the general nature of each species is very imprtant.not all fish are hard to keep but some are for the more experienced hobbiest and should not be attempted by a novest no matter how cool it may look in your tank.a dead fish never looks cool in any tank.start small and work you way up unless you have someone that is going to do all your set up and maintain your tank for you.be realistic marine fish dont have to be alot of work but before you go out spending a fortune on fish research how much work or special care is needed for each species.make sure you can meet the needs of every living creature in your tank.they depend on you to keep them alive and well.last but not least don't rely souly on your LFS to know everything about your fish.most of them have no more clue than you do .also make sure when purchasing from a LFS that the fish you purchase have been acclimated for at least a week in ther tanks if not some fish cant handle the tranfer so soon.

motohead

well you all will agree.spend good money on quality equipment......makes caring for your tank enviroment so much easier............

O

osufarker

I have harder time keeping freshwater fish alive than saltwater. It could be because I put a more energy in my SW. With the right equipment and husbandry SW can be easy to keep. Most important things, water quality and quarantine.

volitan100

eels,damsels,puffers,lions......WOW! I had them and they last quiet awhile. Except my puffer and lion died of some parasite,dont really know. Eels like never die!

smallfry

I did only FW for 20 years and was under the thought that saltwater was too much work and costly.
I think the hardest part is the waiting and not going to fast. saltwater for 3 years now and each time one of my freshwater tanks becomes available I go salt..
Do your home work and take your time..