salt water...how do you dump?

fi5033

Just curious..
How do you guys get rid of salt water from water change? I am afraid that my drain pipe will rust due to the salt in the water?

fromoe

i'd run the water for a little while, or flush the toilet a few times after dumping the saltwater in there if you are concerned

cowfishrule

mine goes the down the ol' porcelin highway, but if you are worried, kick your shower on, pour it in the shower. that should dillute it enough.

djminus1

Will it kill grass? I used to drain water from my freshwater tanks into the grass at my condominium. Since it isn't my yard, I don't really care but would like to know.

shep77

Somebody posted that they put in down the drain and it clogged up the septic tank due to the salt residue.

T

thomas712

Right on the driveway. Saltwater and copper pipes don't mix well in the long run. Northerners know what salt does to cars, don't let this happen in your pipes.

B

b_rabun1

i put it in my pinestraw beds in the yard.it is great for killing weeds.and yes it will kill grass.

thejdshow

Glad i read this.. the thought never crossed my mind, and take it from a northerner.. salt + metal = suck :yes:

funkyman

My "incoming" pipes are copper, but the outgoing drainage is all PVC pipe. Isn't this standard anymore?

T

thomas712

Originally posted by funkyman
My "incoming" pipes are copper, but the outgoing drainage is all PVC pipe. Isn't this standard anymore?

All depends on the age of the house and how many times you had a plummer out to fix things. My house is 43 years old, still mostly copper pipes.