Salt Water Mixing Question

nyhcx516x

OK, so far, for all my tanks, I have purchased pre-mixed saltwater locally. *ducks*
My local place is haveing issues with their equipment and isnt kicking any SW out right now. So, I got some salt, got some RO water. Tossed the water and 5 gallons worth of salt in a 5 gallon bucket. Tossed in a powerhead. Left it mix for 24 hours.
Checked it... the salinity was a bit moderate/low (i keep my tank on the higher end 1.025/6)... and there was still some salt undisolved on the bottom.
Thinking.... I took the 5 gallons, moved it to a 10 gallon tank with a heater this time as well.(i need 10 gallons anyway), mixed in the rest of the water and mix... let it run another 24 hours.
Salinity is still not as high as I want, and there is still alot of undisolved salt on the bottom of the tank.
Since this is the first time I am doing this, normal? Not normal?
And dont worry, the tank is empty, just using it as a container to mix the water in.

my time

The salt should dissolve completely,take the power head and aim it at the bottom of the tank so that the salt doesnt have a chance to sit on the bottom.

nyhcx516x

Tired that... its just built up on the far end of the tank!
Im hoping that its better when i get home from work tonight

flower

Make sure the water is warm, cold water won't mix well. I use 5 gallon jugs of RO water. I heat my water first, and then add the salt according to the measure of water I have and put a power head in the bottom. 24 hours and I am good to go.
I don't know what kind of mix you are using. What you describe is sediment and after 24 hours... as long as the water isn't cloudy you should be fine.
You don't want your water too close to 1.026, go with no higher than 1.024/1.025, when your water evaporates the salinity goes up until you top off. You don't want it to go beyond 1.026…coral likes this higher salinity, fish don’t need it so high.
Whatever point you have the salinity, try to make sure to always stay at that point. You don't want things to fluctuate too much. The ocean is very stable and your creatures are not able to handle change very well. Tank raised is hardier but still not enough to handle too great of a difference.
So aim for being consistency.
Hope this helps.

nyhcx516x

ive actually done fairly well at keeping salinity consistant. with the added volume of the sump... man.. it just helps so much.
I messed around with an 8 gal biocube, now i have a system with total water vol at around 67 gallons... much better!

vishnuborg

I use a large wooden spoon to mix in just the right amount of salt. You must mix it in quickly, or the calcium will precipitate away from the salt water, creating a major deficiency in calcium. Then I use a power head pointed on the side of the bottom with a high output air pad (creates billions of mini bubbles) to churn the water further. I also use a heater. The bubbles really help keep the salt and calcium in the water, and not on the bottom. I don't have to leave it for 24 hours, but if I am aiming just for lost water replacement, I would recommend hooking up a used and uncleaned sponge filter just to keep the water agitated, and start pelagic bacteria in the water column.

tribal

I put my salt in the container make sure my hands are clean and mix with my hands till its compeatly dissolved and then turn on the powerhead and heater. No problems

mr-toad

Maybe I took this to far but I had an old instant ocean 200 gallon salt bucket(I think 7 or 7.5 gallon) and drilled a hole in the side and mounted a blukhead(major sealant required) with an elbow pointing at the bottom. Then I took a powerhead inside and ran 1/2 inch flex hose to the bulkhead outside. It will mix 5-6 gallons of water in about 15 to 20 minutes. Once mixed I always kept a 55 gallon drum of mixed water for emergencies. It is much easier to have it than mix on the spot. Plastic drums cost about 15 bucks for 55 gallon ones. They work great for water storage, cut the top off and you have a keg cooler(just add ice). I also have known someone to use a 35 gallon plastic to transport fish and inverts. Used an air pump and threw in seaweed for the inverts to hang on to.

sldrdvm

I always mix salt water in a 5 gallon bucket, put some RO water in the bucket first, then measure out the salt (I use Oceanic) and stir it in with a plastic spatula, then add the rest of the water and stir some more. After it has sat overnight, I stir it again and check the SG in my tank and the bucket before using the water.