Salt Water Question

mercy

About adding salt to water, Could I just use Water I get from the Ocean, I live in Miami 15 minutes from the beaches.

philgmiami

Originally Posted by Mercy
About adding salt to water, Could I just use Water I get from the Ocean, I live in Miami 15 minutes from the beaches.
the water near the coast would not be a good idea..thats wear the oceans waste go.. best bet would be about 15-20 miles out into the ocean or just make your own . it would be cheaper to make your own then paying for gas in a boat to go 30 miles round trip :yes:

mercy

As For Getting Ocean Water From Deeper Sea, Not A Problem We Go Out On The Boat Every Month. How Often Do You Need To Add Water Or Replace Water In Tank?

S

sinner's girl

you don't ever replace all the water in the tank. How much top off water (this would be fresh r/o water, not saltwater) you add depends on how much water evabortes. I add about a gallon every 2-3 days in the summer (75gl tank).
How often you do water changes depends on what you have. Some people do small ones weekly, some do bi-monthly, others monthly or less. There are many threads regarding water changes.
I would have water you get from the ocean tested, each time! Check for everything and be careful when adding to your tank if you already have fish/inverts. I don't know how much the water changes, but you'd want your levels to be the same when you did a water change.
I, myself, would not use ocean water.

joker_ca

WHEN U ADD SEA WATER YOU ADD THE RISK OF ADDING PATHOGENS TO YOUR TANK, THE BEST WAY IS JUST TO MAKE YOUR OWN WATER