Saltwater affects on furnace/ water heaters

saltymac

Hello all and thanks in advance for any replies. O.K. I met a person who had a 180g fresh that converted from saltwater because of problems with their furnace and electrical components of their household. This was about a year ago that I talked to them. Since then, Ive been having problems with my furnace and water heater. The furnace is about 15 yrs old and the water heater I replaced 21/2 yrs ago. I brought up this conversation with my foreman @ work, who used to breed freshwater and had several saltwater tanks # the same time a few years back. He said he went through 6 water heaters during that period he was doing the tanks. My question is, has neone else had these problems with their household stuff?? If so, what can you do to prevent the "damage" that occures to these pieces of equiptment?

hammerhed7

good question, I have wondered the same thing, my220 in wall backs into my furnace/water heater area. It has been up for nearly 4 years without issue but I was wondering the same thing

reefkprz

Originally Posted by saltymac
http:///forum/post/2599419
If so, what can you do to prevent the "damage" that occures to these pieces of equiptment?
add a dehumidifier to the room with the furnace and other equipment. I find it unlikley that a little humidity junked 6 water heaters more likley it was bad source water tearing up the waterheaters (high minerals crappy city water extremly high water usage etc) if your using a household unit to run an industrial application like MANY tanks your likley to go through them a lot faster. thats why in m,any thing (especially construction there is a difference between "homeowner tools" and proffesional tools the lighterweight home owners tools just cant hold up to high demands.)
my furnace and my water heater are in a basement that gets water in it everytime it rains (aka sometimes an inch of water) its true that the extra humidity may cause rusting on some internal and external parts and may cause problems, so adding a dehumidifier to the room wouldnt hurt and may save you from problems in the long run.

gmann1139

Are we talking sitting next to each other or across the house?
I can't see a tank affecting corrosion farther away than the same room. That being said, anyone have a humidity gauge that can disprove my statement?
Ditto to the hard water. You have all sorts of fun stuff in your water that will eat through even metal.

saltymac

Thanks for the responses. I just find it odd. My tank is upstairs right above the furnace/heater. Maybe I got a bad heater and my furnace was just "due". Sux..........

sepulatian

Originally Posted by saltymac
http:///forum/post/2601608
Thanks for the responses. I just find it odd. My tank is upstairs right above the furnace/heater. Maybe I got a bad heater and my furnace was just "due". Sux..........

I highly doubt that your tank had anything to do with your other misfortunes.