Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies?

wimzcal

I have been thinking about getting into saltwater fish for a while now, and I have read a ton of posts. I was thinking about picking up the book, “Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies” has anyone seen this book? Is it worth the read? Thanks.

mavis1032

Yes, it is a book full of good information, but after your up and running you'll find all of your valuable info from this site. Thanks to all for the help and advice i've been getting for the last year.
Mark

alyssia

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is the book most often recomended on this site.

patandlace

I have both books out of the two I would recommend The Conscientious Aquarist more than Saltwater fish for dummies.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by alyssia
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is the book most often recomended on this site.
I'd buy this before the book mentioned....

f14peter

Agree with Alyssia and Acrylic . . . Fenner's book is the go-to reference.
Another good one, in my mind, is Kurtz's Beginner's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. Maybe not as extensive, but a lot of good info.
Do be aware that some of the opinions on this board are in contradiction to what Fenner writes (He's not as adament about RO/DI water, he suggests undergravel filters and crushed coral substrate aren't all that bad, things like that).
That all said, great book and combined with the goldmine of advice you get here, you're in good hands. I'm just starting too and have taken the two books as baseline data, augmented/updated by the real-world advice of the "old salts" that lurk on this board.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
I heard lion_crazz say that Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies contained a lot of misinformation.....
Yes, this is true, thanks clownboy!
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is an excellent book.

kmc

I am relativly new to this also and I bought both books. Dummies is a good quick read to introduce you to the hobby where as the Fenner book is a good reference once you have a basic understanding. This site is invaluable for information as well but like with all message boards you have to try to filter out opinions vs facts. I also rely heavily on the guys at my LFS. So far they are pretty much right on with what you will find here and they haven't steered me wrong yet. One example being that the LFS suggested I let them hold a fish for me for three or four days to let him get over the shock of being newly arrived before moving him again.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by wimzcal
I have been thinking about getting into saltwater fish for a while now, and I have read a ton of posts. I was thinking about picking up the book, “Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies” has anyone seen this book? Is it worth the read? Thanks.
I read through it a while back... it's outdated and as Lion said just plain wrong sometimes.

clown boy

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Yes, this is true, thanks clownboy!
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is an excellent book.
No problem.