Saltwater barracuda

alina capuozzo

Has anyone ever kept a saltwater barracuda in an aquarium?
I recently purchased one from a local pet shop but cannot find any information on keeping them in an aquarium.
It is about 4 inches long and is eating feeder gold fish heartily.
I know it will very soon outgrow my 60 gal predator tank.

S

surfinusa

All i know is they get big and will need a tank a 1000 times bigger, then they are hard to keep alive in captivity.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by Alina Capuozzo
I recently purchased one from a local pet shop but cannot find any information on keeping them in an aquarium.
yeah tthat sounds like a bad idea, but then again i have NO experience with barracudas

mopar9012

yeah ive heard they need A LOT of swimming space, i dont think a 60 gallon tank is anywhere near it. I also dont think feeding it gold fish is a good idea.

travis99

you yell barracuda, every one says, huh? what?
you yell shark, and we got a panic on our hands on the 4th of July

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Alina Capuozzo
Welcome to the boards.
The info so far on this thread is accurate. Feeding freshwater feeder fish to saltwater fish is bad, and barracudas make horrible pets. It cannot live for long in anything but a huge tank.

petjunkie

Ha, Travis99, I was just watching 1 and 2 the other day, I love shark movies!
And yeah, original poster I would probably try to return that asap as a lot of public aquariums don't have enough room for them, they are extremely big fast swimmers. Not really a good fish for the trade.

travis99

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Ha, Travis99, I was just watching 1 and 2 the other day, I love shark movies!
And yeah, original poster I would probably try to return that asap as a lot of public aquariums don't have enough room for them, they are extremely big fast swimmers. Not really a good fish for the trade.

That is by far on my top ten list of movies ever. I even liked the movie better than the book, which seldom happens but Spielberg did a great job with that one.

leftyblite

Welcome to the boards.
I read in a book or a website at one time that they can get to be about 5-6 feet in length. I really wanted one until I read this and then I changed my mine fast. Sorry to say it will probably outgrow almost any tank you have. Good luck though.