Saltwater fish hobby descriptive essay

jjjoey

I am in english 1101 this year and our first assignment is to write a descriptive essay on a topic of our choice.
I wanted to write the essay on one of these topics or one like them: the saltwaterfish hobby, keeping a reef or coral reefs.
I was wondering what you guys/gals would think would be an interesting topic to write a descriptive essay on. Since many people are unaware of the mechanics of the hobby i thought it might be interesting.
What do yal think i should inlcude?
What should my main topic be on?
I need to use vivid sensory detail.
Include figures of speech etc.
thanks and i would appreciate all suggestions :D

zman1

Perhaps you could write about what you see, feel, and hear when you sit quietly in front of your tank.
Some instructors will make you write a persuasive, argumentative and solution paper on the same topic. If this is the case, pick wisely...

jjjoey

she said we can pick whatever we want, her example was her honeymoon. So i don't think shes going to be to harsh on topics but idk.
I was thinking of doing...
"my room, the coral reef"
i could incorporate
"what you see, feel and hear when you sit quietly in front of your tank."
thank you for the suggestion zman1 :)

zman1

Start with lights out - What do you hear and feel
Sitting quietly before the break of dawn, the sounds of ocean waves can be heard splashing on the shore filling the air.
Lights on-
Creatures of the night begin to scurry to the sanctuary beneath the rocks. The moments of this new dawn is one of the few opportunities to be seen.
When the tank illuminates, the marine Isopods and Amphipods run for cover. What else do you notice?
As the eye starts to scan the other aspects of the ecosystem, one can't help but notice the structure of the environment. Caves and crevasses are scattered throughout, perfectly positioned that gives the feeling of being in the wild on the Great Barrier Reef.
Describe coralline algae, corals, fish, etc. You could include behaviors and comparisons of the inhabitants.
Just thoughts...

zman1

I was just thinking more about it. I assume you are going positive.
If negative:
Vermetid snails covered with algae protrude from the underside of the rocks in a colony of spiral homes, casting their tiny insidious webs like a black widow waiting for its prey.
An artificial structure is rooted in the center as a house in a small yard. An eyesore of purple and red adorn the home. The windows are black and dark like a cave with an eerie wonder of what evil lies within.

jjjoey

I was leaning toward the positive route, but reading that almost persuades me otherwise.

jjjoey

Since i have until tuesday im still brainstorming.
I think im going to do a chronological organization and write 3 body paragraphs to represent the 3 times of day... morning afternoon and night and what happens in the tank during each time..
what should i include during the times :D
Morning: (zman really helped here i loved your ideas)
Afternoon:
Night:
anymore suggestions?

E

emmaparkers1

Hello ! I am a student who works at the same time, so it is very difficult for me to mix homework with this. But I have been using help from https://www.essaygeeks.co.uk for three years now. It helps me get good grades in college without being distracted from work. They always do everything on time and at the highest level, so I have never had problems with them. A nice bonus is a good price)