Saltwater iPhone App

(I posted this in the "Aquarium" section as well but hopefully the Mods won't move this one)
=======================================
I didn't want to talk about this for fear of someone stealing the idea before I had a chance to get started. But I think feedback and building momentum is a good thing so here goes.
So I've been thinking and researching. There is nothing out there for the saltwater fanatic that has an iPhone. One of the challenges that I see in the hobby is seeing something at an LFS and they might have questions about compatibility, hardiness, proper parameters and other items. I constantly have my iPhone on me and I thought, "How nice would it be to be able to find out quickly about a fish, chemical, coral, equipment, etc. by just opening my app - typing in the information and see at a glance what I want to know.
Sooooooo, I fired up my Mac, downloaded the developer's tool - figured out how freakin' hard it is and then went out and found an iPhone App developer. They are in HIGH demand but I offered a profit share with one or two of them and we're on our way. I'm told the build started this weekend but I haven't gotten confirmation yet.
My plan is to have a "home" screen where you can enter all of the stats of your tank including photo gallery (size, footprint, equipment, lighting and amount of LR) It will ask you what kind of tank you have (FOWLR, Reef, Bare bottom, etc.) and then you'll also be able to enter and track your water parameters and temperature (by a slide button). Based on your type of tank, it will have a suggested target parameters by default (this will be editable) When you slide your input the colors will change to show when one or more might be high.
This will also give you the ability to schedule items or reminders for anything (water change reminders, filter checks, testing reminders, etc.)
The app will also have an entire library of fish, invert and corals that are searchable by typing in the name (scientific or common) The results will show a photo (enlargable) with an overview and clickable 'compatibility' chart. All of the information will show preferred temp, salinity, reef safe, tank size, lighting requirements and more. If there is video from YouTube available, this will be clickable as well to see the fish or coral in its environment.
The app will also have all LFS' pre-mapped with pushpins for easy search and directions using the iPhone's 'find me' feature. (This one is probably going to be a little harder to map with all of the LFS' out there) -- maybe an update or later feature.
I will be offering advertising from online stores as well.
I'd LOVE to have a link to this forum group but I don't know the legalities of doing it. (I'll probably want to have an attorney make sure I'm staying within my bounds)
Finally the app will have a "Loopt" type of feature that can show you the location of other SW enthusiasts in your area. (users would have to opt in) and show their profile. This would also give you the ability to upload pics of your tank or whatever to your profile so that others could see.
There are a couple of other features I want to have for it but I'm running up against memory issues with the phone. They're not out of the question but are going to require a little more thought.
I filed for the patent but haven't received anything back yet. I'm hoping to have it out by late summer/early fall of 09 but this could be delayed through testing and approval from Apple. My plan is to sell the app for approx. $2.99 in the iTunes App Store.
So, what do you think? I'm wide open to ideas, suggestions, criticism and feedback to make this a really useful and fun app for SW freaks like me.
- Am I crazy?
- Am I charging too much?
- Is there something I'm leaving off?
This group is my target audience so I welcome ANY kind of feedback - good or bad.
Edit/Delete Message

pbnj

As long as iPhones have exclusive contracts with AT&T, I won't use them even if you paid me.

nycbob

sounds neat. one doesnt need just an iphone to use the app. if one uses itouch, it would work too.

nietzsche

yeah, isnt there something similar already? i think its for the ACIII controller though, by neptune. you can log in with your iphone and see how your tank is doing and look at the stats
but neptune did not make it, it was a reefer

Wasn't me. I looked through the apps and searched everywhere but didn't see it. Hmmm, I'll check into it right now. Thanks!

Nope, looked back through the app store and only found one app close to what I'm talking about. There is one that monitors your tank and parameters if you're using a certain type of equipment. While cool... this is different that what I'm talking about.

reefboy1994

I have an ipod touch and this app would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I have bought over a dozen apps in the past and none of them have made me as excited as this one!!!! please make it! the price of 2.99 is pretty cheap...so its a good price! i totaly support you on this idea

E

eric b 125

i love my iPhone. but when this app comes out, i'll REALLY LOVE it! this sounds awesome. i've tried to make charts and bar graphs on my mac to record my tanks params, but this sounds a whole lot better! great idea.

d-dzel

I would love something like this, I hate the fact that apple doesn't allow the use of debit cards to make purchases. I hate credit cards

Originally Posted by D-Dzel
http:///forum/post/2955689
I would love something like this, I hate the fact that apple doesn't allow the use of debit cards to make purchases. I hate credit cards

Yeah, I can't remember if I used my debit card when I first created mine. I now have it linked to my PayPal account so it comes right from my bank account. Some don't trust it but I've never had a problem.
Thanks for all of the support on it. I think it's going to be a really cool feature and I'm actually REALLY excited about getting it built.

cedarreef

I always just get the free apps, but I would DEFINITELY BUY THIS APP!!! I'm really looking forward to the release =]

d-dzel

Originally Posted by ReiferMadness
http:///forum/post/2955695
Yeah, I can't remember if I used my debit card when I first created mine. I now have it linked to my PayPal account so it comes right from my bank account. Some don't trust it but I've never had a problem.
Thanks for all of the support on it. I think it's going to be a really cool feature and I'm actually REALLY excited about getting it built.
Hmm, I might look into the paypal way, I wouldn't mind using my paypal, I've never had any problems with it.
I'm also excted about this as well, I've been trying to keep all this in a notebook and books about fish, but having this on my iphone would be awesome! I found a kinda little portable book in images about 600 pictures about corals, anemones and clams, each one has a picture of the coral with it's scientific name, maybe that could help you or something?

Originally Posted by D-Dzel
http:///forum/post/2955754
I found a kinda little portable book in images about 600 pictures about corals, anemones and clams, each one has a picture of the coral with it's scientific name, maybe that could help you or something?

That would be great but I have to be careful for copyright infringement by using images. There are a couple of sites that I can either pay a fee to use them. I was actually looking into that very thing when I saw your post. I'll keep you up on what I hear! Thanks for the offer!
Honestly I would have rather worked with a reefer that was a closet developer geek but it didn't seem to be in the cards.