Saltwater Starter

ap7x

Hello,
For a few days now I've been reading up on starting a saltwater aquarium. I happened to find SWF.com during my research and thus this message board, which I am happy to say is my best source as of yet =P
Being a freshman in college, there's not much room in the dorm for a nice big setup...which became a dilemna for me since it seemed "the larger the better" as far as the tank size goes. Then I came upon this part of the message board, which I neglected thus far cause I had no idea what a nano tank was :notsure:
Now then, please bare with me as I try to receive help in establishing my tank. I thought I could open up with some general questions and move on to specifics as they arise - all this of course being accomplished through the help of you guys.
Again, with college student in mind, it would be helpful if suggestions would be as cost-effective as possible =D
I was thinking of buying the 12g JBJ Nanocube. In addition to this starter kit, what else would I need equipment-wise?
In terms of the corals...live sand...etc...what do I need to know/buy to start?
As for the fish, I do want the posterchild of marine fish - Percula Clownfish. I want at least a pair. Would that be the max number of fish I could have or will any other be able to effectively live in there?
Inverts - again, what do I need to know/buy in that department?
Same with corals - what do I need to know in relation to corals and nano cubes?
Thank you for your help.

sagxman

Welcome!!!
First of all, the biggest advice I can give and I'm sure EVERYONE here will agree, take it slow and be patient.
Be especially patient with a nano because they are more tempermental than a larger setup. I started with a nano myself because of space and money issues as well.
Make sure to get the most powerful lighting you can afford IMO. You'll thank yourself later. I am about to do my 3rd upgrade on lighting and would have spent a lot less money if I had gone all out at first. More powerful lights lend to nicer corals in many cases.
Also, know that you won't be able to put a large number of fish in a nano. A couple of percs sounds good to me. That would be all I would recommend for a 12g.
As for starting, get your tank and lights. I don't know much about the nanocubes. If they don't come with a filter, you'll need one of those as well. Start off by putting in your tank:
Live Rock
Live Sand
And No fish or inverts until the tank cycles!
(Do a search on this board to find differnt cycling techniques, it's a much debated topic.)
After it cycles, add your fish. Take your time with corals as many require an established tank for health. Good luck.

nudibranch

IMO I would take the JBJ filtration system and gut it completely. In other words, remove the sponge, bio balls and carbon.
I'd use a DSB and LR for biological filtration. The DSB should be around 3" deep of aragonite (sp?) sand. It's best if you can do a 1:2 ratio of smaller to larger size granules.
I'd add about 15 or more lbs of LR to the system. You can get a good deal on some from SWF.com (the Fiji looks amazing and I've heard good results though have yet to try some for myself). The smallest amt you can buy from SWF.com is 20-25 lbs it might be a little more than you need, but another local Reef fanatic (if you are a student at ASU I'm your guy!) or LFS might be interested in any left-over pieces and might help you offset the costs (currently about $110). Its probably one of the most $$$ parts but you'll need it.
IMO the standard 24W light will be ok but an upgrade would be worth the investment. For greater diversity you'll have to up it. I'm not positive what options you have, but check out this thread. Someone put a 36W bulb on there with great results. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/116147/jbj-nanocube
You might want to add a PH to the mix for different water flow other than the filter system. A Micro-Jet 320 (~$15) would be good but this is optional and can be done at anytime.
A clean up crew will be a good thing to have. I'd say at least 1/2 doz blue leg hermits and a couple Turbo/Astreia snails. Depending on your LFS ~$15. A few scarlet hermits wont hurt either.
A pair of Perculas, IMHO, would be too much for that tank. If it was my tank I wouldn’t do it. Keep in mind more fish = more maintenance. Especially when you’re talking 12gals. I would stick to something like a goby for a tank that size. Personally, I’m really fond of the shrimp gobies. If you want to do the searching I’m sure you could find a paired off shrimp goby and its partner pistol shrimp. Their symbiotic relationship is amazing! That would make for a unique and attractive display!
Lastly, remember bigger isn’t always better. Bigger is a more stable environment, but not always a better tank. Some of the nano pics I’ve seen here far out do many large $$$ systems I’ve seen. It’s all dependant on the person’s ability and commitment, and a nano tank is a more nit picky commitment, but can be just as rewarding if not more.

ap7x

Hey guys
Thanks for the help so far.
Today I bought the 12g NanoCube.
Along with it I got some basic stuff - the heater, saltmix, test kit, buffer, hydrometer
I'm going back Wednesday to get some Live Rock and Live Sand - then the cycling will begin =P I dont like the waiting ^^;
But anyway, a quick question for now...those with the nanocube (or I guess any other nano tank people), how'd you deal with the heater cord. Since there's no nitch to put it through, it prevents the top from closing completely. Is there a way around this or...?
Oh and the manual says to take the Ceramic Disks and Bioballs out for a reef tank. So just checking to make sure that is correct.
Thanks

nudibranch

Yes, it's a good idea to take out the bioballs/ceramic inthe filter. They are ment to provide biological filtration, but your adding live rock so you wont need the extra bio filtration. This will help to lower your nitrates.
As far as the heater goes, I'm not sure, living in AZ hasn't really presented me with a heater problem. My nano didn't have a heater and the house was always around 78 so the tank was about room temp. I'm assuming you'd have to drill/cut a small hole, I don't know I'd definately ask around more before trying to make a hole. Sorry.

ap7x

Ok, thanks. Took them out and put them in some ziplock bags.
Keep the sponge material in there? I've read some other posts where some people took them out and put in...live rock or some other things?
Also - just curious, what is that magnetic thing with the velcro on one side? The rectangular shaped thing that you can pull apart...
Another note with the heater - I also read someone putting the heater inside the back portion of the NanoCube... where the filtration system is. Anyone elaborate on that? Have done so themselves?
Thanks

homerfish

Another note with the heater - I also read someone putting the heater inside the back portion of the NanoCube... where the filtration system is. Anyone elaborate on that? Have done so themselves?
I put a heater on the backside of my NanoCube fairly easliy. I first purchased a heater guard so it would not damage my live rock or corals. You can then run the heater cord through the gap where the powerheard cord goes. Good Luck!

nudibranch

You could put the heater in the filter, just make sure you fasten it tightly so it doesn't get knocked around.
Putting LR in the filter is an option for added biological filtration depending on the bio-load your puting in there it wont be necessary. I would rather see you with LR in the filter than the sponge, but I doubt you'll need either one. Also, you can always add LR to the filter if you need more bio filtration.
Make sure you will have room for everything if you decide to put the heater and LR in the filter (I'm not familiar w/ the filter design so I don't know where everything goes). I strongly agree w/ Homer's suggestion of a heater guard if you do this.

moraym

Also - just curious, what is that magnetic thing with the velcro on one side? The rectangular shaped thing that you can pull apart...
That is to clean the glass. One side should be softer, the other side is rough, put the rough side inside the glass. Then just move it around your glass and it cleans the inside and outside of the glass. You'll need this more as the tank matures and stuff starts growing all over the glass.

ap7x

Quick :help:
I am going out to get the LR and LS tomorrow from a reliable LFS...well, I setup the tank today - mixed the saltwater, tested salinity, filled tank.
Sponge material is still in there...as I've said before, bioballs and ceramic's are out. However, I forgot bout the bag of carbons.
Acting on curiosity, I pulled out the carbon bag without knowing what it was from the filteration system in the back. As I was inspecting it and wondering what this was, I remembered it was the carbon bag.
Unfortunately, during my time of enlightenment, the bag dripped into the tank and now bits of from the carbon bag are littering the tank floor and ( dont know if its my imagination...) but the water does look dirtier. :nervous:
Question now is: Is the water ok or do I need to change it all out again? Also, what should I do with the carbon bag? For now, I've taken it out.
Thanks
Edit: I wiped most of the residue away with some paper towels...but still some bits and pieces around

stevebk

It's alright, your tank will be ok. Make sure your sponge is over the filter intake- that's in the upper left corner in the back. You'll get the dust on the substrate whenever you gravel-vac or stir the gravel during water changes and aquascaping. This will help filter out the dust, especially if you rinse it every day or so. By the way, whenever you add carbon to a tank, it's really important to rinse it so that all that dust doesn't muck up your tank like it just did. I don't see any real reason to replace your carbon in the reef unless the tank starts to smell funky, that's why I put some into my NanoCube. Anyhow, it's no big deal as it is, and you should bust out with LR! Good luck, post some pics if you can to let us see your tank.
P.S.- How long are you living in the dorm? Fish tanks can a pain in the ass to move, you may want to think about that before stocking it with fish or corals. Just a thought.

ap7x

Thanks for the help.
Setup the tank with LR and LS...
22 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of LS from the LFS
They got some of the LR from a tank they kept in the store so it's fully cured and has some life on it already.
Couldn't get pictures but some main things I saw on the LR:
*Something that looks like feather dusters...but very small ones. Like 1 cm...a couple that are bigger. Have a number of them on the rock.
*I think some type of coral...it's brown with a tint of...purple? Has the main body and then the tentacle looking things xP
Small...about an inch
*Some green balls....small little things; a couple of groups of 2-3 together.
*Just today, a starfish! It was hidden in the rocks...black and white stripes...thin arms. Very small...kinda worried about him. Will he survive? o_O
Any ideas? Couldn't really find pictures online and sorry the descriptions are so vague xP
That's all for now...I'm hoping many more surprises come along.

Oh and the dorm thing...yeah, I'm thinking i'll leave just the tank at home. Enjoy it over the summer...then hand it over to the sister. I'm staying instate so I'll be home for the weekends too (but now I wish I wouldve bought a bigger tank ><)

moraym

...then hand it over to the sister.

Just make sure your sister can handle it, and is willing to do so. Salt tanks, esp nano tanks, do take more maintenance than you think in the long run. And I remember vividly leaving my parents with a tank to take care of when I went to college, didn't make it more than a couple months.
So threaten your sister, or something.:happy:

nudibranch

I left my 5g nano for a week with my dad. He was supposed to top it off with the RODI that was sitting next to it. That's all. Came back from my 8 day trip to Belize and the water was about an 1 1/2" - 2" low and the RODI was still full (it was in a jug). I didn't bother testing salinity but yeah, needless to say the whole thing crashed all my last ditch efforts were to no avail. careful

mrs dalley

Hey,
If you are in the Tempe Area I would be willing to trade some sand with you (I have plenty left over from my conversion into th==me 30 gal tank and share an order of live rock for the nano tanks. I am starting a 10 gal nano soon and will need live rock also.
My guy just started a 5 gal nano and got 2 very small clownfish for it (mated pair) at Ocean Art in Ahwatukee.
let me kow if you are interested in the sharing of sand and rock.
tsaun@cox.net
Good luck with your tank,
Tanya