San Fran vacation??? need help from the West Coasters!!

kerriann

so, for my aunt's birthday we've decided to plan a trip to san fran because she's been there once before and loved it. well, seeing as my cousins and i have never been there and this is supposed to be a surprise i'm looking for some help for a REASONABLY priced trip. first of all, how long of a trip does everyone recommend?? i'd like to do 5 days/4 nights to minimize the expense but do you think we need more/less time? any good hotel recommendations or particular areas to stay in? things we should try to see while we're there? it's 5 women going on this trip so SHOPPING!!!! any good places to check out??
thanks guys!

scotts

I have only been there once, but there is of course The Golden Gate bridge. Then also Fisherman's wharf, touristy place right on the bay with LOTS of shops. That is all I know.
Scott

sigmachris

Union Square for shopping....Napa is only an hour drive north in case you want to go wine tasting.
Golden Gate park is very nice to visit, its huge so look it up before hand to see which part of the park would interest you (museums, animals, ponds, etc)
If you want to drive about 2 hours south, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best there is IMO.
If you are a baseball fan, the new Giants ball park is one the best that has been lately.

sigmachris

Also BART the local sub way is very useful and safe. You also have to do the tourist cable car...this one won't feel that safe going down the hill but it is an adventure that must be taken.
If you have a car you also have to take a drive down Lombardi Street or Lombad Street, the one with the most curves in a short amount of time.

jpc763

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2502163
so, for my aunt's birthday we've decided to plan a trip to san fran because she's been there once before and loved it. well, seeing as my cousins and i have never been there and this is supposed to be a surprise i'm looking for some help for a REASONABLY priced trip. first of all, how long of a trip does everyone recommend?? i'd like to do 5 days/4 nights to minimize the expense but do you think we need more/less time? any good hotel recommendations or particular areas to stay in? things we should try to see while we're there? it's 5 women going on this trip so SHOPPING!!!! any good places to check out??
thanks guys!
I was born in San Francisco and moved to the South Bay area (Cupertino) when I was 1 year old, so I have been to the city a lot.
If I were going on a 5 day/4 night...
Lodging:
I would stay in Union Square. The St. Francis is a really nice hotel, but it is a little pricey ($200-300/night). Another option nearby is called the Cartwright Hotel on Union Square. More reasonable price ($100-$150/night).
Best shopping is in the city. Good restaurants as well.
Dining:
As mentioned above, good dining in Union Square area. I would also venture out in the city for dining. Great seafood near the wharf (not on the wharf, near the wharf). I would also go to North Beach for Italian. One of my fav's is North Beach Pizza. Chinatown has... you guessed it... some great Chinese. Overall great food in San Fran. Stay away from chain restaurants!
To See:
- Golden Gate Bridge. Go to the Marina District and check it out from the Presidio. Or go to Golden Gate Park. Couple of hours probably.
- Fisherman's Wharf - Great place to see. A couple of hours to at most a half day. There is a reasonably good public aquarium there that you can visit. Lots of tourist traps in the area like the Wax Museum and such.
- Harbor Cruise. Fun time. Half day.
- Chinatown - People watch and shopping. Couple of hours to half day.
- Coit Tower - Something to see, not spend a lot of time with.
- Lombard Street - Something to see, not spend a lot of time with.
- Buena Vista Cafe - Arguably the birth place of Irish Coffee - near the wharf.
- Ghiridelli square - Shopping and Chocolate!!

- Cable Car - Take a ride for sure
- Alcatraz - You can tour the island. Probably a day.
There is a lot of other stuff. PM for more details.
As far as Napa, it is about 45 miles north of the city. Depending on when you drive, it can be quick and it can be Sloooooooow.
Stay away from...
- Typical tourist traps. You know the ones.
- Tenderloin District or South of Market at night unless you are at a club (there are lots of clubs there). Don't get lost down there. Bad stuff.
Taxi's, Bart and other transportaion is OK. A car would be better, but parking is difficult as in any big city.
Hope this helps! Have fun! San Francisco is one of America's Great Cities!
I should know, I was born there!

dragonzim

Definitely check out Muir Woods if you want to get out of the city itself. Its a giant Redwood forest and is amazing!

demartini

check out yelp.com you can look up the highest rated places to visit in SF.
Some of the places I love to go to are...
restaurants...
-Cliff House (gorgeous ocean views)
-Beach Chalet restaurant (beautiful ocean view)
-Foreign Cinema restaurant
-The stinking rose restaurant
-Teatro Zinzanni ( this show/dinner is soooo good and it's really close to fisherman's wharf)
-pizza orgasmic
-Fisherman's Wharf ( the aquarium there is overpriced and not that good, but they have cute shops and restaurants)
-Union Square ( shopping paradise!)
-Haight Street
-Haight Strret haunted tour ( very cool! you learn a lot about the history of SF, see some houses of famous people and they end the tour in a very cool haunted bar!)
-Lombard street ( the crookedest street in the world)
-Golden Gate Bridge
-Golden Gate Park
-Alcatraz
-Ghiradelli Square ( chocolate mmmmmmMMmmm)
-Ripley's believe it or not museum ( I have more fun here than anywhere else in the city lol)
-Wax Museum
-Palace of Fine Arts (this is so beautiful and while you're there you can visit the exploratorium)
-Exploratorium ( fun science stuff... reminds me of mythbusters)
-North Beach ( tons of good food and you can even visit the beautiful Saints Peter and Paul Church, where Marilyn Monroe and Joe Dimaggio got married )
-Ocean Beach
- SF Zoo
watch out for the crazy homeless people... especially the bush man of fisherman's wharf ( he will scare the crap out of you lol)
Public Transportation is really easy in the city. I wouldn't recommend renting a car as SF has very confusing streets and it's so easy to get really lost.
if you need directions or more info you can pm me. =)

shogun323

While you are there I would make a point to raid Lauren's (Demartini) tanks. They are freakin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigmachris

Originally Posted by DeMartini
http:///forum/post/2502500
check out yelp.com you can look up the highest rated places to visit in SF.
-Foreign Cinema restaurant
Foreign Cinema is really good...my brother-in-law's boyfriend used to work there and it is a great meal and atomosphere.

jpc763

Originally Posted by DeMartini
http:///forum/post/2502500
-Fisherman's Wharf ( the aquarium there is overpriced and not that good, but they have cute shops and restaurants)
I *loved* the aquarium there! I took my wife and kids and we were the only one's so my kids got a great guided tour!
My wife wants me to recommend a restaurant called Cafe Sport.
J

jpc763

OK, so now I want to plan a trip for me!

Monterey is 120 miles away. If your there... the Aquarium is not to be missed.
J

demartini

Originally Posted by jpc763
http:///forum/post/2502539
I *loved* the aquarium there! I took my wife and kids and we were the only one's so my kids got a great guided tour!
My wife wants me to recommend a restaurant called Cafe Sport.
J
I thought it was kind of dinky for the price. IMO The Academy of Science in SF has a better aquarium and i believe it's cheaper. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is definitely the best! I'm going this weekend! yaaay!