Sand Anemone?

spanko

Seems I have read before that LTA's, if you dig a hoe in the sand and place them there will stay there. But let's see what others say.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2918576
Is there an anemone that prefers to be on the sand???
M.doreensis (AKA LTA(common names suck))
S. hadoni (AKA green carpet but dont confuse with other carpets (common names suck))
H.crispa (AKA sebea(common names suck))
H.aurora (sand dweller, but with a foot attached to burried object)
H.malu
These are all more difficult to care for than a BTA. They will all want as much light as a BTA, but they are on the sand so the light needs to be stronger so it can penetrate the water better than what it would for a BTA that would perch itself on the rocks

meowzer

I read the descrip on lta's on this site and it doesnt say about placement, but Tube Anemone's say they prefer sand...Does anyone know anything about them? Or what is better an LTA, Or a Tube?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/2918586
M.doreensis
S. hadoni
H.crispa
H.aurora (sand dweller, but with a foot attached to burried object)
H.malu
These are all more difficult to care for than a BTA. They will all want as much light as a BTA, but they are on the sand so the light needs to be stronger so it can penetrate the water better than what it would for a BTA that would perch itself on the rocks
The M. Doreensis is an LTA isn't it...care is listed as easy

I know hte hadoni is a carpet...don't know the rest....
LOL the one thing I don't have to worry about anymore is my lights.

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2918590
The M. Doreensis is an LTA isn't it...care is listed as easy

I know hte hadoni is a carpet...don't know the rest....
LOL the one thing I don't have to worry about anymore is my lights.
I have edited my post above.

meowzer

LOL.....It's hard to look things up when all you have is a "nickname" and a lot of places list them by their "nicknames"

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2918597
LOL.....It's hard to look things up when all you have is a "nickname" and a lot of places list them by their "nicknames"
. I know. This site is notorious for that. I actually expect nothing less/more from this site.
Common names are often interchangeable though and when used, the wrong advise is often given.
Carpets for example. There are 5 different anemones that are commonly refered to as carpets, and all with different needs. The hadoni for example is IMO/IME one of the easiest anemones to keep, whereas the gigantea is probably the most difficult. The hadoni is a known fish eater, while a gigantea is not.. throw in an S.helinthus to the group which is not only a fish eater but a clownfish eater. S.gigantea only grow to about 20" and usually found at the rock/sand interface. The hadoni is more of a sand dweller (sometimes at the rock interface) but will hit 28". The S. mertensi is usually perched on the rock and will hit 36". .Helinthus is a Caribbean anemone with no clowns and stays smaller but is very predatory. Hadoni may do well with silversides, but I would never,ever feed a silverside to my giganteas.. I could go on and on as to why common names suck, but until sites (like this one) stop using such blanket statements, it will do no good
Did I ever say how much I dislike common names?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/2918612
. I know. This site is notorious for that. I actually expect nothing less/more from this site.
Common names are often interchangeable though and when used, the wrong advise is often given.
Carpets for example. There are 5 different anemones that are commonly refered to as carpets, and all with different needs. The hadoni for example is IMO/IME one of the easiest anemones to keep, whereas the gigantea is probably the most difficult. The hadoni is a known fish eater, while a gigantea is not.. throw in an S.helinthus to the group which is not only a fish eater but a clownfish eater. S.gigantea only grow to about 20" and usually found at the rock/sand interface. The hadoni is more of a sand dweller (sometimes at the rock interface) but will hit 28". The S. mertensi is usually perched on the rock and will hit 36". .Helinthus is a Caribbean anemone with no clowns and stays smaller but is very predatory. Hadoni may do well with silversides, but I would never,ever feed a silverside to my giganteas.. I could go on and on as to why common names suck, but until sites (like this one) stop using such blanket statements, it will do no good
Did I ever say how much I dislike common names?

Thanks Rod...I appreciate all the info...I am reading stuff, and always seem to get mixed information and then get more confused...So for now on I am trying to ask questions...I know a lot of people on this site have a lot of experience, which means more to me than words on a web page

elite

when i 1st bought my LTA i set it up on a crevis ontop of a rock closer to the lights
it then moved itself the the back of the tank between the sand and the rock
then i could not see it or reach it to feed it so i flipped the rock to face the front of the tank and it was still attached but about 4" off the sand
sure enought 30 minutes later it wedged it foot again between the sand and the bottom of the rock its been there for the last 2 months
but my clowns havent hosted it yet :(
dont mind my hair algea problem its been getting better as the weeks go by

bigleman

i tried getting my LTA to stick to the rocks for the first 2 weeks i had it, that never worked out...
i've had him in the sand for almost a year now and he's huge

saltfan

I threw my LTA in the tank and let him figure out where he wanted to be. He picked this spot and has never moved. I also thought it prefered sand. But hey, you never know.
Attachment 217867

rod buehle

Originally Posted by SaltFan
http:///forum/post/2922013
I threw my LTA in the tank and let him figure out where he wanted to be. He picked this spot and has never moved. I also thought it prefered sand. But hey, you never know.
Attachment 217867
I am not 100% certain, but I dont think that you have an LTA (M.doreensis) there . It looks like it could very well be a BTA (E.quadricolor). Can you get a pic of the underside of the oral disc to see if there are verrucae?
either way, it appears to be a little hungry, which if it IS an M.doreensis (doubtful) could be why its climbing/staying on the rock (closer to the light/food).