Sand clumping

blondenaso1

So today when messing around with my tank I found that in several areas the sand is very hard and clumped together. I have heard of this before and think it had to do with to much buffering or alkalinity of something like that. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to corect it??

T

thomas712

It is caused by your calcium and your carbonates falling out of solution. When this happens it kinda forms a bond with your sand and walla you wind up with bricks.
Check your calcium and alk levels
check your Magnesium - I'm willing to bet is way low.
Check your ph.
Water changes are the solution here to get your chemestry back on track.
What size tank? I would say about 20 percent water changes each week for a few weeks, IMO.
Thomas

blondenaso1

It's the 55g. The pH runs a little on the low end, usually around 8.0, but I have been trying to get it back up. Mg is fine. Last time I tested it it was aroung 1650 and I have been dosing as usuall. Do you think that it is a result of overdosing with Ca and/or buffer?

nm reef

I have seen several articles and discussions about clumping sand...but the cause/solution escapes me(never been a problem here)...I'd try a search on-line and see what you can find.

T

thomas712

First contributer is possably the high alk and cal, Ive seen this stuff harden right onto pumps, heaters, wet/drys and sumps, sand and crushed coral.
Second could be you do not have a healthy sandbed. By that I mean enough infauna to keep it turned over and sifted by pods and worms.
If you do not have enough pods and worms then you need to find a way to get some. I would also suggest a fighting conch or queen conch as well.
Thomas