sand dollar question

who dey

has anyone ever kept one. Are they keepable in a reef tank?? I've always loved collecting their skeletons on the beach in Fla growing up as a kid. Where would one be found? Any experience welcome!!

fedukeford

They dont last long at all in home aquariums, and it would be VERY hard to find a site that sell them.
Feduke

wangotango

Originally Posted by reefreak29
they would hide in the sand the whole time and u would never see it
yeah. i read somewhere that they live in the sand, and are usally vertical, so you would need one deep sandbed. havent heard of anyone keep on.
-Justin

i live in florida, and at fort desoto beach you can swim out and find 1000s of sand dollars, they are a dark purple color. and if messed with they give off a dark purple dye that stains your hands and is hard to get off. i think they would be a bad idea to keep in a home aquaruim.. just my opinion... if you do though good luck..
josh

d0 thy d3w

ive seen sand dollars at an aquarium...im not sure if there are more than 1 species of them..or if they just have arent temperature sensitive...because i know florida ahs warm water...but the tanks taht were at thsi particular aquarium were in a cold water tank along with local species such as moon snails, and a variety or carniverous crabs

larryndana

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
ive seen sand dollars at an aquarium...im not sure if there are more than 1 species of them..or if they just have arent temperature sensitive...because i know florida ahs warm water...but the tanks taht were at thsi particular aquarium were in a cold water tank along with local species such as moon snails, and a variety or carniverous crabs
public aqaurium?

mcbdz

I read somewhere that for a 4" sand dollar you need a 6-8" deep by 10 square foot sand bed for them. :scared: That would need to be a pretty big tank. I think I'll just enjoy them when I go to the beach.

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by larryndana
public aqaurium?
well sorta i guess..its not a full size aquarium such as sea world...it was at a camp that i went to on a field trip in like 5th grade or sumthing...camp seymour if i remember correctly...its on an estuary..and i guess they collect sum of the local critters and keep them on display in a room filled with cold water tanks...so mayeb i should have cleared that up and explained it more thouroghly in my previous post...it was still cool tho

earlybird

Don't think they live vertical. I pick them up all the time when I take the boat to the beach. My daughter likes them. They would have a tough time sitting verticle the way they are shaped. I think its illegal to take them.