Sand Dollars in tank!!!!

aggies50

bergamer I sent you the email you requested. If yall want me to email yall the website tell me your email and ill get back to you.

aggies50

So does any body know for sure what it takes to have one of these? Is there a recommended tanks size, or how difficult is it to take care of them?

bergamer

Originally Posted by aggies50
So does any body know for sure what it takes to have one of these? Is there a recommended tanks size, or how difficult is it to take care of them?

i 2nd that and what do they eat

mudplayerx

The last issue of coral magazine was dedicated to urchins. The sand dollar is actually an urchin, but the reason you don't see them in the hobby is due to their fraility and low survival rating. Thumbs up if you have sand dollars that are thriving, but odds are very good that most of us will just end up with the dead, white ones in a month or two after ordering them :(

speg

Well I dont know how long these sand dollars have been in this tank.. but so far so good. They seem to be doing very well.

thegrog

Sand dollars belong in the ocean, not a tank. They rarely, if ever, survive in a captive environment. Not even big public aquariums (like Chicago's Shedd) keep them.
Sand dollars live off the bacteria in the sand--and they eat a lot of it. In a captive system, there is not enough of it to support a sand dollar for very long. In the end you will have a dead sand bed and a dead sand dollar.

ophiura

Requesting links to other websites via email is a violation of the terms of use.
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

AND PLEASE DO NOT BUY SAND DOLLARS.
Sand dollars need DEEP sand...and they need a VERY PARTICULAR substrate size. In fact, certain species need calcareous sand, and others need silicious sand.
The will almost certainly DIE within a year, if that...not to mention you will not see healthy sand dollars as the burrow into the sand (at an angle).
PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE ANIMALS.