Sand eating fish

vaughn

Recently, I saw a fish that would gulp up sand that would be sifted out its gills. It was pretty wild to see. Does anyone know what type of fish that was? Looked liked a goby something maybe? Sorry, no pics.

Just be aware that they LOVE to jump. Both I have bought jumped out and went carpet surfing. I want another one, but I don't think I wanna risk that again.

shyfish

Hi,
I had a fire goby and a diamond both in a 75g tank with no problems. My fire fish jumped out and committed sushi, I had it for about a year. :( Now I have a glass top, but I heard egg crate will work, so I might change up.
I have never had a problem with diamond gobys jumping. But he keeps my sand nice and clean. He does like to rearrange the sand his way, he makes sure one spot in the corner is bare to the glass on the bottom.
He is a favorite. Everyone likes to watch him sift the sand.

meowzer

I have a sandsifting goby...called sleeper banded bullet on this site. It's neat, doesn't jump, but digs holes all under the rocks

shyfish

Hi Meowzer,
A sleeper goby has a yellow head and a blue stirpe over its eye. The diamond has little orange diamonds on its side. The sleeper looks better IMO.
They both do the same things but a diamond usually stays on the bottom. A sleeper likes to swim away with sand landing on everything in its path, including corals.
I had a sleeper clog up a china coral with sand. He just liked to bury it. Nothing I could do to stop it. The china coral was only happy in its cave out of the light and the goby decided that spot needed sand, lot and lots of sand.
Gobys like to arrange the sand their way.

meowzer

A sleeper goby has a yellow head and a blue stirpe over its eye. The diamond has little orange diamonds on its side. The sleeper looks better IMO.
Attached is a pic of what I have..it does not have a yellow head...I bought it as a banded goby, and on this site they call it a sleeper banded bullet????

shyfish

Hi Meowzer,
I am sorry, I saw sleeper goby and went off into a memory lane. I tried to upload a picture but I can't get it to work. The one I was going on about was a golden headed sleeper goby, which I thought looked better than the diamond one.
I never heard of a sleeper banded bullet. I learned something new. I have a goldenheaded sleeper now.
In the end... sand sifting gobys are great fish, and they get along fine with a fire fish gobys.

meowzer

Yeah they seem to get along with everyone...I don't know the names of everything either...I try to match them with pics...LOL....Like I said once before...these fish are neat, BUT I do not think I would ever get another cause they dig under the rocks. If you are starting a new tank it is recommended to put the rocks on bottom, and sand around them....who new???LOL

shyfish

Hi,
I can't imagine life without a sand sifting goby. He keeps my sand so nice and clean. He does dig under rocks, buries china corals and drops sand on the rocks.
I had a Golden retriever once that ate my shoes, got mud all over when it rained and was a counter surfer. Sweetest dog I ever had.
I like destructive I guess. LOL

meowzer

LOL...That's a very nice one you have...I like mine, I just get tired of cleaning the sand off my corals every day...It's like as soon as I blow the sand off, here it comes with more...I swear it watches me...LOL

shyfish

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2945691
LOL...That's a very nice one you have...I like mine, I just get tired of cleaning the sand off my corals every day...It's like as soon as I blow the sand off, here it comes with more...I swear it watches me...LOL
I know mine does. Little bugger, I gave up. HE runs the tank. It is decorated his way.
Its like when I shovel snow and the snow plow comes right after I am done!
But before my sand sifter my sand would get brown patches..really ugly! Now it looks great so he does his job.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2945705
I know mine does. Little bugger, I gave up. HE runs the tank. It is decorated his way.
Its like when I shovel snow and the snow plow comes right after I am done!
But before my sand sifter my sand would get brown patches..really ugly! Now it looks great so he does his job.
SNOW
I sure don't miss that...here in SE Oklahoma we don't even own a snow shovel...LOL (I'm originally from NY, so I know snow)
ANd yes the sand sifters do their job well....I guess sand on corals is a small price to pay for whitish sand w/o brown spots...LOL

windlasher

Originally Posted by Vaughn
http:///forum/post/2932638
Recently, I saw a fish that would gulp up sand that would be sifted out its gills. It was pretty wild to see. Does anyone know what type of fish that was? Looked liked a goby something maybe? Sorry, no pics.

Engineer Goby. I just put two in and woke up this morning to find a pile of sane where there wasn't one before.
MAKE SURE YOUR ROCKS ARE SECURE. Things that dig, can dislodge rocks.