Sand from the beach

salt life

Im setting up another tank and was wondering if I could get sand off the beach, not right off shore, and clean it really really well and use it for the tank.. dumb idea?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2916827
Im setting up another tank and was wondering if I could get sand off the beach, not right off shore, and clean it really really well and use it for the tank.. dumb idea?
Honestly, we can all speculate about what might or might not be in there, but do you really want to take the chance of starting your tank out on the wrong foot?
Most coastal waters are going to show some sign of pollutants. If there's a dock, jetty, or boat launch nearby, go see what's collected there.

jkp rules

If you get sand anywhere other than the store you're running the risk of getting contaminants that could

[hr]
with your system. However, the stuff at the beach is free. I got beach sand when I started my 40 gallon and raised many happy fish, an octopus, and a good bit of coral. It could go all to heck, but in my opinion you'll probably be fine. Especially if you spend time cleaning it first. i just dumped it straight in.

scottallert

many people will say no, but their the same people that say you cant take water from the ocean...
as long as you let it sit in fresh water then sit out and dry id say go for it.

salt life

thanks everyone, i know people take water out of the ocean to use, just not near shore, so i figured why not use the sand thats not near the shore and really clean it thourougly.

salt life

whats that sand people get at home depot? would i be able to use that so i dont have to dish out so much on live sand?

crypt keeper

I would do it in a heart beat. If I lived down in florida I would go out about 100 yards that was out from any dock or pier grab a snorkel find a little reef where stuff was thriving and take all sorts of sand rock and even water. If animals are living in it in the wild and thriving, its better than anything out there. Fresh not sitting on some shelf for months and ready to go.
These are some pictures I took when i was in florida last April. Its on the Gulf side. Id be there all day taking what I needed. Little me isnt killing the entire ocean by taking some sand and rock. I cant wait to go back

chris0799

i wouldnt do that. the shores can be polluted and can have things in the sand that you wont be able to get out. if there is one harmful bacteria or something in there and u put it in ur tank it could kill everything in it. its not worth the risk. dont do it.

aquaknight

There are a couple problems finding a places for sand. First, a legal spot to do so. Any city/state park is off-limits and obviously so is private beaches. Second is the sand itself. You either get the brown rough stuff that turns out looking not that great in your tank, or you get the white powder like in the above pic, which looks great but with all flow, gets blown around inside your tank.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2917166
Little me isnt killing the entire ocean by taking some sand and rock.
NO ONE
under any circumstances, who either isn't licensed or have permits to aquaculture rock, should ever take live rock from the ocean. Even if it is just 'little ole' you.'

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2917247
NO ONE
under any circumstances, who either isn't licensed or have permits to aquaculture rock, should ever take live rock from the ocean. Even if it is just 'little ole' you.'
Thats like saying you shouldnt take dirt or wood from a forrest if you live near one. And of course If I lived there I would get the correct permits. I wouldnt just go rogue crazy and start blowing up reefs with dynamite and a under water jack hammer. Have a little faith.

teresaq

there are no permits for live rock-it is illegal to take. There are many other things you can with just a saltwater fishing license but not rock.
T

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2917358
there are no permits for live rock-it is illegal to take. There are many other things you can with just a saltwater fishing license but not rock.
T
I see. My next question then, the answer isnt obvious to me, how does a company like SW located in Miami sell it by the ton every year?

teresaq

those companys either have a rented space in the ocean to dump dry rock to be aquacultured or the import rock from other places. everyday people cant collect live rock.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2917406
those companys either have a rented space in the ocean to dump dry rock to be aquacultured or the import rock from other places. everyday people cant collect live rock.
I see. Thank you for teaching me something new in this hobby!

aquaknight

Sorry crypt, I probably owed you a better explanation. Yep T as it correct, there are many things that are perfectly fine to collect (with a saltwater fishing license), however live rock is illegal to take. There are several aquaculture live rock programs that take land collected rock, dump it into the ocean for a few months to turn back live. Permits to harvest live rock are extremely rare, and I don't believe any have been handed out in the last several years. As to how SWF sells tons of rock every year, look where most of the live rock came from, Tonga, Fiji, etc.