Sand from the Ocean?

stang393

Just a thought...
I live in Mass. Near Cape Cod...
Could I use Sand from the ocean?
Or is it to much possibilies to bring unwanted stuff home?
Just a thought....:confused:

spicyballs

you could nicely seed your tank with live sand, but you could also seed it with some unwanted stuff.. i wouldn't do it either.

stang393

Originally posted by lionfish28
the sand is polluted. :nope:

From where I'm talking is...
If you look at a pic of the east coast and you see Mass that looks like a Boot.
At the very very tip of the boot. Called Race Point..
I believe the furtherest point on the east coast...
You can only get there via 4x4 and walking...Not to much human polution out there...
I was thinking of the unwanted stuff...Anyone know specifically what that would be...

clown_nut

all kinds of pullutants from factorys...refineries...even though it's the furtherst out...all that garage drifts miles and miles and settles everywhere.

spicyballs

tis true.... air pollutants here in the east coast can end up in rain pouring down in the midwest... or elsewhere

Originally posted by Stang393
I was thinking of the unwanted stuff...Anyone know specifically what that would be...

The possibilities are virtually endless . . . potential bacteria infestatio, etc.
Another issue is that the inhabitants there are coldwater species where as the environment you are trying to create is going to be a warm water environment . . . not going to mix well at all.

stang393

Originally posted by 007
The possibilities are virtually endless . . . potential bacteria infestatio, etc.
Another issue is that the inhabitants there are coldwater species where as the environment you are trying to create is going to be a warm water environment . . . not going to mix well at all.

I think that was the answer i was looking for!
Thanks