Sand has algae on it. (purp,brown,some red)

is it a new tank, if so this is normal. if it is not then some hermits or a conch could help. you might want to up the flow if the algea is being caused by dead spots. consider some snails as well they usually do the best with sand beds.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
is most likely due to not enuf flow, you should have around 15x-20x turnover .
i have 3 seios, a 620,820,and a 1500 plus the return. i think i calculated about 23x turn over.
ok so snails it is. uh which kind is best?i only have like 8 turbos, and 1 margarita plus plenty of hermits. ill liekly get an army since i like to over kill on everything... oh and do u think over feeding has any thing to do with it? my trates are below 10, phosphates are .25 to nothing (cant really tell, api test arent that great).
tank was started on dec 13 2006

aztec reef

yes decreasing feeding will help but your tank is still fairly new so it could be an algea phase that you're going through. try some astrea snails and nassarius snails. also keep up with waterchanges..

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
yes decreasing feeding will help but your tank is still fairly new so it could be an algea phase that you're going through. try some astrea snails and nassarius snails. also keep up with waterchanges..
thx, ill try to cut down. i do bi weekly w/cs of 25 gallons, and uh when is my tank considered "established?" how many months does that take??

frankthetank

I have a question along the same lines of this thread....
It is normal to have pink and green algae between the sand bed and the glass? I just don't see anyway to keep this clean without stirring the sand bed around.

i have a whole piant by numbers sand bed. i blame my diamond goby
i think it is normal. mine is mainly caused by layering of the sand bed. my fish shift the levels around and causes many colors and layer to be visable.