sand question

mazerat

ok first i have a 46 bow
sand seeded changed over 3 weeks ago
19 lbs of LR adding more every couple of weeks when i have extra $$$
1 penguin without any media or bio wheel for water movement
1 aqua clear also without media also for water movement
1 eheim canister filter with just the spong to help clear the water when i changed to sand
my tank has been running for 3 months i just had the water tested and everything is perfect
all the filters are temperary until i get the money for a skimmer and power heads
now on to my question 2 days ago i noticed that my sand has a tan-ish color to it on top
is this algea should i get a clean up crew
or is it something i should be worried about
thank you for your time and help in advance.................................John

littlebuck

well thats because you dont have enought water flow in your tank. Also getting a clean up crew would help keep the sand cleaned up a little bit. But make sure your tank is cycled.

ddress007

Get a power head, i like one on each side. Water flow in crucial in a battle against algae as well as overall growth in the tank.

T

thomas712

I think the 900's would be perfect. What I think you are experiencing is a normal diatom bloom, you are seeing the dead remains of the diatioms. Perfectly normal for cycling tanks.

devilboy

Originally Posted by Thomas712
I think the 900's would be perfect. What I think you are experiencing is a normal diatom bloom, you are seeing the dead remains of the diatioms. Perfectly normal for cycling tanks.

i agree with thomas....

T

thomas712

When the diatoms die they just fall and will coat the rocks and sand, nearly every tank goes through this.

T

thomas712

When the tank is fully cycled and you have done a 30% water change, then you can start to add livestock such as a cleanup crew, these will help to clean up the dead remains of the diatioms.
Ceirth snails would be a good choice, nassarious snails for the sandbed, astrea snails and your regular red leg hermit crabs.