sand question

leopard_babe

i have a tank that is 2 years established. excellent water conditions. i am rready to move it the water is mostly out. however my substrate, which is indo-live snad is in the tank. can i take the sand out of the tank? i currently have the fish out of the tank. so if my tank recycles it self it is not a big deal.
should i take the sand out, or some of it? there is 60 lbs in my 46 gallon tank. it is very heavy. any suggestions?

dischirm

if you need to take it out to move it, than do. Be sure to keep it submerged in the bucket or whatever you are using to move it. Your tank will re-cycle, but it should be a short one!

sagxman

I usually leave the sand in if I'm moving the tank, but keep in mind, I only have a 20L. Much lighter. I don't think you'll have a problem if it has a mini cycle since you don't have livestock in it. Shouldn't be an issue IMO.
-David

nm reef

I have done it both ways....moved them with the sand still in and I've moved them with the sand still in...really depends on the weight and how you plan to move it. If you have any concerns about the weight creating too much stress then by all means take it out. I've removed it into containers before moving the display and then just replace it when you are set up again. One caution though...if the is a lot of spetic gunk on the lower layers of the sand I'd seriously consider replacing it....some of the sand beds I've removed have been rather foul and toxic...I'd sure not want to put some of that gunk back in.

maeistero

i've moved a lot of tanks and my opinion would be take it out. it's way too heavy for the tank seams to support with a person on each end. in my experience it works sometimes, but not more than a couple moves. the sand likely weighs in at a helluva lot more than 60lbs when you add in all of the water weight that's stuck in there. if you have or can get a lot of water mixed up then spread some tight screen over a picnic table or a raised deck. if you can't get screening small enough, do two or three layers of window screen staggered. get all the sand you can on that and pour that water over it while sifting with your fingers or a plastic kiddy rake. you can collect your cleanup crew quickly, get rid of some muck and still keep most of the beneficial bacteria for your new setup.
otherwise if you still want to keep the sand in i recommend a person at each end and a person supporting each side also. another way i've used is a 2x4 on the front and back. carry it like an egyptian princess. mainly you want to avoid putting all the stress on 4 small corners.

leopard_babe

thanks for your help. i ended up taking about 1/3 out and put it in a bucket. i left the rest in the tank. moving a tank is a huge pain in the butt. i am writing a book on how not to move your tank. haha
now i just need to put my fish in it.