sand question????

boutwellk

what is a good way to rinse off the sand before it is used??? its not Live sand, its store bought bag sand

sethw

ok, i used store baught sand for my first tank, and well, use caution, what brand is it? some are very harmful, some arent as harmful. But anywho, let me know what brand it is. just put a little bit at a time, like a couple scops ful (4 cups) in a jar or tupperware, and just rinse with a hose very thouroughly, like rinsing out all of the very fineer parts of the sand out, becsue the finer parts is what get syou in the most trouble, so i rinsed mine for like an hour, and little by little is the key. Just keep on t doing that, and you should buy like maybe 3lbs. of LS for every 20lbs. bad you use, to plant the sand, and it also makes it look better.

boutwellk

Originally Posted by sethw
ok, i used store baught sand for my first tank, and well, use caution, what brand is it? some are very harmful, some arent as harmful. But anywho, let me know what brand it is. just put a little bit at a time, like a couple scops ful (4 cups) in a jar or tupperware, and just rinse with a hose very thouroughly, like rinsing out all of the very fineer parts of the sand out, becsue the finer parts is what get syou in the most trouble, so i rinsed mine for like an hour, and little by little is the key. Just keep on t doing that, and you should buy like maybe 3lbs. of LS for every 20lbs. bad you use, to plant the sand, and it also makes it look better.

the brand is Aragonite

boutwellk

Originally Posted by sethw
hmmm........ if i remember correctly, your ok so, just be sure to rinse well :)
thanks a lot...and when i rinse those small amounts do i add them to my tank after the water is in it or do i put the sand in first??

aztec reef

you should put sand in first than water(slowly)to reduce cloudiness it should'nt be that cloudy if its rinsed. but if it is than dont worry about it cause that may help start cycle. most of my sand was wet when i bought it . it goes by the name of natures's ocean live aragonite and some sugar sized oolite.

chipmaker

Just pour about 1/2 bag in a 5 gal bucket and use hose fil up and swirl and mix with hands and tilt bucket on side and allow any trash to flow out, and repeat process until it doe snot foam up any more. The fines are just as important as the coarser grains and it will work its way tothe bottom anyhow. You wil never get rid of all fines and its not important to do so anyhow so just rinse off any accumulated dust. If its a wet pack yu can just drain water off and use as is. Place in tank before adding water. Place a plate or bowl in the tank on top of sand and then slowly pour water into the bowl or on the plate and it wil not stir up the sand bed and make a mess. Even if it does, it will settle dout ina few hours time. Leave pumps and power heads off while filling up with water or if water gets sand mixzed up in it. YOu can use chlorinated water, its not gonnaz hurt a thing, just allow the majority todrain out befor placing in the tank. Chlorine does not last long anyhow and if your still paranoid you can always add a touch of dechlor to the tank when you fill it.

barchtruong

I used about 60lb of Coral Aragonite bag sand (dry) in a 55g tank.
I followed the intructions from a good book I read on.
I rinsed about 2g sand at the time.
Use a 5g clean bucklet, put the sand in, then use a the water hose with a water jet on it and start shooting the jet hard till the dirty stuff and cloudy stuff in the water, stop the jet, dump the water out.
repeat the step, and don't forget to rotate the bucklet.
Do that 3 times, and that should be plenty of rinse.
Quote from Marrine Reef Aquarium Handbook,
"New aragonite gravel should be briefly washed (one or two rinses) to remove dried black fragments of plants. Continued washing will never result in clarity, as aragonite dessolves during washing. Washed aragonite will initially cloud the water, but the tank will clear in a few days"
So, don't waste too much water and aragonite when you rinse them.