sand question

cinhark

I went to menards today looking for sand, the only kind they had was play sand, it didnt say anything else. it is brown. and they had a silica white and. can i use either one of those even if they dont say arginite. I live in a small town. not much here. my only option is to spend $30 for live sand at pet store {small bags}IMO 20lbs. i have already bought 2 bags of it and i need lots more sand. what do you think?

stonedpimp

i asked the same question, i was told silica sand will work just not as good as aragonite. put aragonite or live sand or both on top. so im going with 3in. silica 1in. aragonite on top. with live rock. in time the sand should become live from the rock.

lesa

Do a search on the board about sand, there is a LOT of info on it on what to do and what not to do. I think you will find it very helpful

cb

stonedpimp is right you can use silica sand , The argonite brands to look for are yardright and old castle But they may not be available where you live I know they aren't here but someone else had purchased some here and I was lucky enough to buy some off him. Not all sands are safe for your aquarium so you might want to do a search on this board and see if the ones available to you are.HTH