Sand sifter suggestions

7up

I'm looking at getting a sand sifter(s) for my 75g. I'm looking for something that will sift my aragonite and have read good and bad things about cukes, starfish, and brittles. Pros and Cons- some cukes stick very close to the rock or glass and don't go out in the middle of the tank. However, they don't kill as many of the sand inhabitants as a sifting star. The star however sifts the sand extremely well and wonders the tank. Any first hand information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

adrian

All sand sifting gobies, stars, and cukes can destroy the fauna in your sandbed. Sand sifting gobies can be very hard to keep and a lot of them die from starvation in a couple of months, same goes for the stars and cukes. Once they have decimated the microfauna, if they are not eating prepared foods their usually in for it. If you get one make sure its eating at the shop. If your trying to establish a live sand bed, then a sand sifting gobie should be avoided. Nassarius snails are said to be very good for LS, although I have not tried them yet but plan to eventually. Red leg hermits also work well if algae on the sand is the problem.HTH

I actually purchased two sand sifting cukes as a result of talking to Dr. Ron. He advocates the use of these critters.
Mine are doing a great job, so far.
I guess like everything else, the jury is still out. There is much to be learned, and, of course, all systems and critters have their own personalities. (and food tastes.... :D)
Hermit
BTW, Sea cucumbers are sand "swallowers" and eat mainly bacteria not animals, as opposed to sand sifters which are carnivorous and eat the fauna critters.
[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: Up North Hermit ]

jups1

The white burrowing starfish will move through the sand and bury themselves. Good sifters, and they do not eat the critters (so I've been told). I've seen arguments that go either way. I'm not complaining - there are plenty of critters in my sand bed.
You need to keep good water - they are very sensitive to nitrates.
A goby may eat the critters in the sand, but it will NOT kill the bacteria that is crucial in the sand. That's most important, for filtration and cutting back on nitrates.
It's a personal preference, IMO. Some people think the critters are beneficial.
I personally, do not like worms everywhere. My orange spotted goby does a great job of sifting the sand, and keeping the worm population down.
He cleans the bottom of the tank, and eats just about anything that gets in front of him.
Hermits will also do a good job, just not as effective by themselves, since they are so small. But necessary, as they will also eat algae and waste that falls to the bottom.
Definitely read up on the dragon wrasse. Can't remember where, but think I read that they are pretty messy and destructive in reefs. Could be mistaken - I've never had one, but they are cool.
So many options out there. I'm sure there are pros & cons for everything. Just choose what you want for your tank and I'm sure it will be great. Juli
[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: jups1 ]