Sand Sifter that isn't a "flight risk"?

superwade2

I've lost 2 Diamond Gobys now, both to carpet surfing over the past month or two...
The first "jumped ship" after just a couple of days, but I didn't have a top on my Tank and so was probably asking for trouble... Before I got the second, I bought the Egg Crate, trimmed it up as close to my edges as possible, and after almost 2 weeks of seemingly happy sand sifting, I found my second Diamond Goby out on the carpet (may they both Rest in Peace)...
I'm sill not sure how he got out, there isn't more than a 1/2" gap anywhere between the Egg Crate and sides or equipment.
Anyhow, I liked the Sand Sifting action, but don't really wany to keep dropping $20 or so for a fish that is most likely gonna "run" for whatever reason.
I have various snals and stuff, but nothing that cleaned more than just the top level of my sand bed, which is 3" or so (depending on where the last Goby had moved stuff arround).
And advice on something that is less likely to hop out for whatever reason?
Thanks
Sw2

team2jndd

just put eggcrate on your tank. Then you can have any one you want. Any fish can jump some are just more prone to doing it. If your tank is covered ull never have to worry.

superwade2

Originally Posted by team2jndd
just put eggcrate on your tank. Then you can have any one you want. Any fish can jump some are just more prone to doing it. If your tank is covered ull never have to worry.
I had Egg Crate with VERY few "gaps" and the Goby still jumped out... He must have wanted out BADLY!
SW2

scgator

I feel ya, SuperWade. My engineer goby (8 or so inches long) jumped THROUGH the egg crate while I was standing there. In my experience the egg crate helps, but is not fool proof. I've been thinking of tacking a screen (as in window) to the egg crate to prevent ALL jumps. My tank is a bow front also or I would just buy one of those screen reptile tops.