Sand-sifters

travis89

Hi everybody
. I have 46 gal and my sand bed is always dirty and I am looking for something that will clean it up and give some life to the tank :help: . What would you all suggest? I have 6 nassarius snails and was going to get like 6 cerith snails but was also thinking about a sand-sifting goby.
Thanks in advance.
Travis

mrdc

I always like the fighting conch. Hermit crabs will help too but I don't buy them any more since they kill my snails too often. A sandsifting cucumber may help.

moorea2

I have 4 Tonga Fighting Conch they seem to be doing a good job of cleaning the sand with a little help from my hermit crabs.

travis89

I used to have 2 fighting conchs but they both died and I don't really want to get hermits because I don't want them killing my snails, but if I was going to get them how many would you suggest to start with, like 6 blue legs and 6 scarlets? I forgot about the sand-sifting stars so I could get one of them. What about the diamond goby or do they need bigger tanks? Also I thought the cucumbers needed bigger tanks?
Travis

coachklm

no no no sand sifting starfish.. they will deplete your pod supply they are meat eaters not detrius cleaners after 3 months it will more then likely perish... due to starvation.

alyssia

Originally Posted by coachKLM
no no no sand sifting starfish.. they will deplete your pod supply they are meat eaters not detrius cleaners after 3 months it will more then likely perish... due to starvation.

I was just going to say that!

K

kalied20

I put a 3-4'' sand bed in my 24 gallon and got a "Golden Head Sleeper Goby". I have been told that they eat all the stuff out of the sand by sifting it, but I spot feed him everyday to make sure he is never that hungry. I have not had any problems except.... He his dug a cave under a big rock. I was afraid of him moving too much sand so I took some small rocks and put under it that support the weight of the big one if he moves too much sand. He will occcasionally move a lot of sand in the front of the tank and bury my zoos. But, I just use a turkey baster and blow them off when I feed each day. doesn't bother me....I like the little guy and the sand is really white all the time...

travis89

Originally Posted by coachKLM

Thanks for telling me I guess I won't be getting one. I think I will get a sleeper goby and maybe another fighting conch along with the cerith snails. Also could I keep the sleeper goby with a yellow watchman or would they fight? One other question, what are margarita snails good for do they clean the sand or rocks/glass? Just trying to figure out what I need to add to my clean-up crew. Thanks again.
Travis

snccoulter

don’t get a sand sifting cucumber I had 1 in a 125g it died and released a toxin in the water and killed over $400 worth of livestock

travis89

Originally Posted by snccoulter
don’t get a sand sifting cucumber I had 1 in a 125g it died and released a toxin in the water and killed over $400 worth of livestock
I wasn't going to because I have heard that they can do that and though I don't have much $$ invested in livestock I don't want to lose it. Thanks for letting me know though.
Travis

drewdog82

I really wanted to get a smaller sand-sifting goby for my tank, but was told that they eat the good and the bad in the sand and that I would be better with snails.....does anyone know if this is true???

tangs123

diamond watchman goby is a great fish to clean the sand,
he eats brine shrimp if he is hungry after cleaning the sand be and i have had mine for about 1 year now in a 75 G

reefnut

Sand gobys are as harmful to the sand bed as a sand sifter star. They also feed on the critters living in the sand bed. I agree with the conch's... great cleaners.