Sand Sifting Gobies

yannifish

What kind of gobies sift sand? I was planing on getting a yellow watchmen but decided that a sand sifter would be more benificial.

fishygurl

diamond goby, I dont remember exactly what they are called but i think it was like blue jaw sleeper goby?
-edit- nevermind they are called golden headed sleeper goby.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by yannifish
What kind of gobies sift sand? I was planing on getting a yellow watchmen but decided that a sand sifter would be more benificial.
If you are planning on turning your tank into a reef then stick with the watchman. Sand sifting gobies will strip you sand bed. If you are looking for good detrivores to sift through the sand then go with inverts.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by sepulatian
If you are planning on turning your tank into a reef then stick with the watchman. Sand sifting gobies will strip you sand bed. If you are looking for good detrivores to sift through the sand then go with inverts.
And better yet i would go with inverts that dont eat pods. Like....Tongan NASSARIUS SNAILS(the big ones)! i LOVE them.

nick76

Originally Posted by yannifish
Be prepared to live with your choice as sand sifting gobies will literally tear apart your sand bed. Its looks more like your tank got hit by an underwater sandstorm. If you dont want to deal with rearranging your sand bed everyday then you could try Nas Snails, or a small conch.

slomo

i am considering a gobie also, i have a cc base with sand on top. will they stir up the cc. will that cause a problem?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by slomo
i am considering a gobie also, i have a cc base with sand on top. will they stir up the cc. will that cause a problem?
I probably wouldnt get a sand sifting goby, instead i would get a shrimpgoby.

nick76

I dont think that gobies are ment to live in CC, it might scratch its underbelly and cause an infection.

slomo

What about the blennies? would they be a better choice. I have a collection of bright green algae on my sand and some brownish red that the crabs/hermits and two remaining snails don't bother with. What would you suggest?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Nick76
I dont think that gobies are ment to live in CC, it might scratch its underbelly and cause an infection.
If it gets down that far. How much sand is over the CC??

fishygurl

What about the blennies? would they be a better choice. I have a collection of bright green algae on my sand and some brownish red that the crabs/hermits and two remaining snails don't bother with. What would you suggest?

I would suggest getting tongan nassarius snails very good for mixing sand up but they dont eat the pods.

nick76

If your going to go with a Blenny i would suggest a Lawnmower Blenny, they eat film algae and some of them eat hair algae. Also they can be trained to eat most prepared foods. But it wont help with your sand bed. Best to get some Nas snails or a Small conch. They will clean the sand bed and keep it orderly.

slomo

There is about 1" - 1.5" of sand over 1" cc some places it is thicker. I am sorry i used a mix, however i am stuck as i don't want to change things at this point. When i upgrade i will know better
I had some nass. snails from this site and some turbo from this site and i am down to 3. the hermits like them for a snack.

tang4me

There is about 1" - 1.5" of sand over 1" cc some places it is thicker. I am sorry i used a mix, however i am stuck as i don't want to change things at this point. When i upgrade i will know better
I had some nass. snails from this site and some turbo from this site and i am down to 3. the hermits like them for a snack.
The CC will eventually make its way to the surface. As the sand settles it will push the CC upward. A Yellow Watchman would be fine either way.

itom37

I've got a reef with a diamond goby. My only complaint is that he eats all of the pods on the sand. He doesn't do the sand bed any harm... he keeps it clean. If you want to keep any sessile critters directly on the sand then they might get some sand in them or move them around, but if not I have found mine to be a great addition to my reef. Just my opinion. They're neat fish.

yannifish

Ok, so would a sandsifting star be ok in a 55g reef? Or nassarius snails? And would a bicolor blenny be more beneficial than a goby? I think I like them better than gobies, and I only have a 1-2" sand bed. Or a lawnmower blenny?

harris28

Originally Posted by Nick76
Be prepared to live with your choice as sand sifting gobies will literally tear apart your sand bed. Its looks more like your tank got hit by an underwater sandstorm.
I This statement couldnotbe more true!! I have a diamond goby which is different than the golden headed sleeper goby. And boy has he made a muck of my tank. He is constantly working which is cool but my rock work has fallen once and I have to constantly blow off my corals. But my sand looks better than ever eventough he made ski slopes out of my rockwork. You can level the sand again but guess what?? That's right, he will move it right back. Think twice, I wish I would not have gotten him but it's a done deal now, and they are worse than Damels to catch!