sand sifting gobies...

fishygurl

what are the best sand sifting gobies? I saw some 4 wheel drive (twin spot gobies) and they looked really cool.
Do all sand sifting gobies eat the beneficial things in the sand? If so isnt this a bad thing for your sand?
Will they starve or can they live off of other foods?
Also would they get along with jawfish?
Is there anything that will sift the sand good, and not eat the beneficial things in it?

tvwong

diamond backs/ gold headed sleepers. the sleepers will tend to drop sand on low lying coral and rock though. Diamonds are hardy and great sifters. The twin spots that you mentioned are not hards and often starve.

valgae

i had a diamond goby. did an awesome job sifting, but totally ruined my plenium.
trates thru the rizzoofff. lots of personality. also since it made the leap of faith my copepod pop. is booming.

yearofthenick

I have a tiger watchman and he's OK... he made a cave for himself and rarely comes out, but I know he's eating because every morning my sand bed looks different... high spots, low spots... it's shaped like a friggin desert in there. Kinda sucks to spend $20 on a fish you never see.
I had a twin spot and he rocked... he was one of my favorite fish... he's just a little guy so he doesn't do much to your sand bed and he rarely ever hid or burrowed under my rock. he died in a botched attempt at hypo... that's a horribly long story, but I think if I had left him in the display tank, he would have been fine.
If I could choose for you, I would go with the twin spot goby, but if you got something bigger (like a tiger watchman) in addition to the twin spot (who is very small already), the tiger would probably kill and/or eat the twin spot (so I've been told).
but you have a 125, right? Wouldn't you want something bigger anyway? If so, I think a pink spot watchman is what I would recommend... they're a little harder to find over where I live, but they're really neat looking and get to be a pretty nice size, too... especially if you have a 125.

big

After others have said Diamond, I thought it was worth piping in....If it needs to be a fish, one choice would be a Diamond Goby (aka) Rotor-tiller fish) if you want to have spotless substrate. Many folks use this guy. But they have many downfalls too.
The issues with them are they tend to be jumpers. Also I have a nearly 50 gallon fuge feeding the little pod eater.Still my tamk is almost barren of pods.
I have seen where they are tide poll skippers. As long as they have food in this "little tide pool" I think they do not tend to try to leave the pool (jump out of your tank) But it your tank runs out of pods etc , carpet surfing 101 seems to be their next class in school.
Remember like I said, the little obsesive compulsive critter will eat just about anything in the substrate (pods included) leaving the substrate barren of see-able critters. And forget little frags in the front or the tank, they will do their best to hide them. Next, they will rearrange the landscaping of your substrate regularly!! If you have a "DSB" he will make mountains out of it in places. Other than these issues, they are just about unbeatable at keeping the substrate clean, but you pay the cost of these issues. As attributes they have lots of personality and are fun to watch obsess at there job. But that cost is living with these issues forever more. Good Luck.... Warren

bill109

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2696737
I have a tiger watchman and he's OK... he made a cave for himself and rarely comes out, but I know he's eating because every morning my sand bed looks different... high spots, low spots... it's shaped like a friggin desert in there. Kinda sucks to spend $20 on a fish you never see.
I had a twin spot and he rocked... he was one of my favorite fish... he's just a little guy so he doesn't do much to your sand bed and he rarely ever hid or burrowed under my rock. he died in a botched attempt at hypo... that's a horribly long story, but I think if I had left him in the display tank, he would have been fine.
If I could choose for you, I would go with the twin spot goby, but if you got something bigger (like a tiger watchman) in addition to the twin spot (who is very small already), the tiger would probably kill and/or eat the twin spot (so I've been told).
but you have a 125, right? Wouldn't you want something bigger anyway? If so, I think a pink spot watchman is what I would recommend... they're a little harder to find over where I live, but they're really neat looking and get to be a pretty nice size, too... especially if you have a 125.
i have a pink spot in my 90 and when he is stress free and out and about.. the colors are amazing. thay arent all that common well around here and arent a burden on ur wallet..

fishygurl

i mainly would like to know if there is possibly anything that would sift the sand and not eat all the good things in it? or very few?
The only thing i know of is nassarius snails, but i never see them sifting the sand, they are always just hiding in the sand im guessing and the only sifting they do it when they come out of the sand to eat and then when they go back under the sand..
I mainly wanted to see if there was any way to have a nice clean sand bed without having to vaccum it out, and without losing tons of beneficial things like copepods..
Sand sifters are awesome, i just dont know if i want to chance one since i want a mandarin dragonet, and im going to get a jawfish (and they usually dont like other fish in the sand like watchman gobies and stuff..)

yearofthenick

Get a mandarin and a twinspot (or 2 twinspots if you have a big tank)... they'll live harmoniously. The twinspot doesn't cause a detriment to your tank because he doesn't sift a lot of sand and he doesn't dig deep so he won't spike any param's in the tank, but he'll eat whatever is on the surface of the sand. Sand sifters do just that - they sift the sand... and eat any organisms living in it, so if they sift sand and a copepod happens to be a part of the sand bite they're taking, then they'll eat them, but they're not looking specifically for them. That's why it's better to get the twinspot alongside the mandarin, because the twinspot will less likely eat everything in the sand (because of his size), leaving plenty of copepods for the mandarin... but will keep your sand bed clean. It's also a good idea to get some hermits... they do a good job of keeping your sand and rock clean. 1-2 per gallon is recommended, and get some extra shells so they don't fight with each other for the other's shell.
My tiger watchman has a voracious appetite and I should probably give him back to the LFS because he's eating everything in the tank, leaving my spotted mandarin hungry. I supplement my tank with 1,000 copepods ordered through the internet once a month and it's still not enough, but I have a smaller tank so maybe that's why.
You probably shouldn't have a jawfish and mandarin in the same tank. Not two mandarins either, they will fight. I had a mandarin and a spotted mandarin in the same tank... they fought like the dickens.

fishygurl

http:///forum/post/2696836
Get a mandarin and a twinspot (or 2 twinspots if you have a big tank)... they'll live harmoniously. The twinspot doesn't cause a detriment to your tank because he doesn't sift a lot of sand and he doesn't dig deep so he won't spike any param's in the tank, but he'll eat whatever is on the surface of the sand. Sand sifters do just that - they sift the sand... and eat any organisms living in it, so if they sift sand and a copepod happens to be a part of the sand bite they're taking, then they'll eat them, but they're not looking specifically for them. That's why it's better to get the twinspot alongside the mandarin, because the twinspot will less likely eat everything in the sand (because of his size), leaving plenty of copepods for the mandarin... but will keep your sand bed clean. It's also a good idea to get some hermits... they do a good job of keeping your sand and rock clean. 1-2 per gallon is recommended, and get some extra shells so they don't fight with each other for the other's shell.
My tiger watchman has a voracious appetite and I should probably give him back to the LFS because he's eating everything in the tank, leaving my spotted mandarin hungry. I supplement my tank with 1,000 copepods ordered through the internet once a month and it's still not enough, but I have a smaller tank so maybe that's why.
You probably shouldn't have a jawfish and mandarin in the same tank. Not two mandarins either, they will fight. I had a mandarin and a spotted mandarin in the same tank... they fought like the dickens.
whats wrong with the jawfish and mandarin? they have different eating habits, and jaws stick to the sand or under the sand and mandarins stick to the rocks most of the time and prob the sand a little bit.
I think i would be more worried about the jawfish and twinspot fighting..
If i got a twin spot i would only get one since ive read they can starve..

yearofthenick

twinspots are a lot hardier than everyone thinks.... they just need an established tank to sift sand in. If you got a bigger goby, he can sift deeper and more throroughly... the twinspot is smaller and wont dig as deep so he needs more surface area to munch.
Just my preference... but I like the twinspots... they're really neat with their long fins and intricate markings. they do get pretty big too, although not as big as many other gobies.
I don't think you have anything to worry about in a 125. if you set up a refugium you could grow your own copepods and brine, and everyone would be happy.

fishygurl

http:///forum/post/2696876
twinspots are a lot hardier than everyone thinks.... they just need an established tank to sift sand in. If you got a bigger goby, he can sift deeper and more throroughly... the twinspot is smaller and wont dig as deep so he needs more surface area to munch.
Just my preference... but I like the twinspots... they're really neat with their long fins and intricate markings. they do get pretty big too, although not as big as many other gobies.
I don't think you have anything to worry about in a 125. if you set up a refugium you could grow your own copepods and brine, and everyone would be happy.
ya i have my own fuge, so now im thinking of getting one.. i want to buy some copepods even tho i see some crawling. I just got my fuge set up with some sand and a LITTLE bit of rubble, but i want to get a good pod population before getting this fish.. do you think i should wait 6+ months for my tank to be running before i get this, like i am going to for the mandarin? or maybe wait 2 more months before getting it..

yearofthenick

i would get the fuge going, put some chaeto in there (pods LOVE any algae, and chaeto reduces nitrates and phosphates), buy some pods (maybe two batches, one for the fuge and one for the tank) then get the mandarin. i don't think you need to wait 6 months... the mandarin won't be in the fuge, and the pods breed fast. the reason for the fuge is to get your pod amounts up... get them up so high that they're bursting out of your fuge into your display tank... sure, that takes time, but if you already have pods in your tank, then I think it's safe to say that you can start the fuge and get the mandarin at the same time. while he's eating the pods in your tank, pods are growing inside your fuge, overflowing into your tank.
The mandarin and the fuge should go hand in hand. If you want to wait 6 months, it's your call, but I think you're fine if you add the mandarin once you get the fuge going.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2696866
whats wrong with the jawfish and mandarin? they have different eating habits, and jaws stick to the sand or under the sand and mandarins stick to the rocks most of the time and prob the sand a little bit.
Sorry, I was thinking Hawkfish... some of them can be pretty aggressive, and certain species like the longnose are strongly recommended to go last in a tank because they pick on new additions. Some of them also eat shrimp, and love the cleaner shrimp in particular.
But you mean the jawfish... yeah those are fine. I think they have an easy temperament.

fishygurl

ok thanks, any other opinions? i am planning on getting one in a couple months then, i will buy more pods and let them produce and get a good population before i purchase one, and then buy more pods and wait for a good population before i would add the mandarin..

fishygurl

hmm just wondering what exactly are twin spot gobies eating when they sift the sand? do they eat left over food that is in the sand? or pods? or anything beneficial in the sand?

yearofthenick

I just returned my tiger watchman goby and got a twinspot.... he's so cool!
Also got a corris wrasse... if you want a vibrant yellow fish, they're a great alternative to a yellow tang, which gets huge, as the wrasse doesn't.

fishygurl

http:///forum/post/2699033
I just returned my tiger watchman goby and got a twinspot.... he's so cool!
Also got a corris wrasse... if you want a vibrant yellow fish, they're a great alternative to a yellow tang, which gets huge, as the wrasse doesn't.
i decided not to get a twinspot since i havnt heard of ANYONE keeping one more than 6 months..

Also i plan on getting both a yellow wrasse and a yellow tang in my 125 eventually.

yearofthenick

FishyGurl, I agree now. I'm really bummed. I put the twinspot in the tank this afternoon, after a 1-hour acclimation with the lights off. later this evening, I noticed all my hermits gnawing at something... it was the twinspot! dead!
Man that sucks.
the yellow wrasse is good. I guess I just got a bad twinspot though... I'll wait a bit before I get another one.