Sand Sifting Seastar

J

jesses89

what kind of food do i use? and can i spot feed him now? eventhough im positive my 60 lbs of live rock is still enriched in "fauna".
and where can i get this food?

J

jesses89

im waiting for it to come out to take a pic of it... but i havent seen him since i put him in... do i dig him out? or will it come out soon?

alyssia

Originally Posted by Jesses89
im waiting for it to come out to take a pic of it... but i havent seen him since i put him in... do i dig him out? or will it come out soon?

I wouldn't dig him out. I would spot feed him krill or mysis (probably anything meaty). You can buy it frozen at an lfs.

J

jesses89

Ty! ... i took another one of my bluefin damsel and yellowtail damsel.... man... why are they scared of the camera? i had to throw some food in there for them to stay still

ophiura

I have not read the whole thread....
But they DO NOT eat the bacteria in the sand.
They eat the creatures in a sand bed that keep a sand bed healthy and functional as part of your biological filter. This is destructive.
They DO NOT eat detritus and rarely will they take to spot feeding. In smaller tanks, most will starve in about a year, though their death is often mistaken for being eaten by something as they slowly disintegrate and lose large pieces of their body. Hermits and other scavengers will then be drawn to it.
I never, ever, never recommend sand sifter stars.
Sorry if it was covered already....I am at work and strapped for time